Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with drawing and morphplot

I already take the strongest antihistamines the docs prescribe as my hayfever is quite bad, now on the 10mg over the counter stuff i'm on 180mg stuff and my arm still went like this!

Cats are just wrong and all should be put down. I'm not allowed to let my dogs crap in other peoples gardens but cats are allowed!!

To get back on subject If I take wings from drones whose blood line am I looking at?? Is it the Queens?

Would like to comment on drawwing but in Ausria looking for bees

Blog Entries

Jimbo - Must be like a lunar landscape there after the bee apocalypse.
    If you look at drones you are looking at the genetics of their mother queen as opposed to the drones she mated with but bear in mind that the morphometry is different between drone wings and worker wings. I haven't heard of anyone looking at drone wings.
    Drone ranger might have a vested interest. (in keeping his wings attached)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If you look at drones you are looking at the genetics of their mother queen as opposed to the drones she mated with but bear in mind that the morphometry is different between drone wings and worker wings. I haven't heard of anyone looking at drone wings.
    Didn't Doris have a look in her more sensible days?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Jimbo - Must be like a lunar landscape there after the bee apocalypse.
    Drone ranger might have a vested interest. (in keeping his wings attached)

If drones were checked they would need to come from above a queen excluder to make sure they are residents not visitors

But

What I find attractive in the drone wing morph measurement option is a couple of drones would be enough.

The selected queen need only be encouraged to flood the area with drones
    Any grafting from that queen would guarantee 50% genes were the desired ones

Any beekeeper could supply one drone to a mapping project

Only a couple of drones would need to be checked

There might be 50,000 bees in a hive 30 is a small sample and I think most people would agree sampling workers depends on local drone population for results
    You might have a pure Amm virgin mated in a commercial beekeeping area and see disappointing scattergram

I think I will start breeding a primorsky bee from the hybrids I have
    I'm sure the genes are in there somewhere LOL
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 19-06-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo

What do you mean the Morphometery is different in drones? Will drawwing and Morphplot still work, or is it completely different methods?

My asking is to see what my queens are, are they the Carniolans with AMM breeding into her, or is she AMM and out breeding with Carniolans, ( Queens are unknown ) to me, not purchased just a swarm from a beek who split their hive. Who didn't know origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    What do you mean the Morphometery is different in drones? Will drawwing and Morphplot still work, or is it completely different methods?

My asking is to see what my queens are, are they the Carniolans with AMM breeding into her, or is she AMM and out breeding with Carniolans, ( Queens are unknown ) to me, not purchased just a swarm from a beek who split their hive. Who didn't know origins.
    Haven't heard of anyone compiling data on drone wings
    These morph programs began life on the linux operating system and have been built on before and after transferring to the windows operating system
    I think one of the recognition parts was originally based on a tree ring identification application

Well here's two drones from this morning, From the same colony taken from inside the hive above the QE.........

Now I know nobody has looked into it and Later on I shall be doing more searching on tinternet, But doesn't that show the drones being AMM??? And the queen mated with non AMM??

Blog Entries

AMM Drones have a CI value lower than workers, 1.0 - 1.5 as opposed to, 1.3-2.1 but it certainly looks to be nearer what you would expect.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/morphometry.html