Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgin queen orientation flight from apidea

Blog Entries

Default Virgin queen orientation flight from apidea

I have 11 apideas with virgin queens in my front garden at the moment.
    I took this video about half an hour ago with the temperature about 12c.
    You can see the bees pushing the queen encouraging her to take a flight.
    She runs up the right hand side of the apidea, takes off and then lands back in the apidea after about 30 seconds and goes back in.

This one was grafted on 19th May and emerged 31st May.
    She has been stuck in the apidea ever since and is approaching her sell by date.
    I would say she has about a week left to get in a mating flight before going stale.

The mother of this one was the last queen I got mated last autumn and is a supersedure queen. She started laying on 1st October.
    Last edited by Jon; 17-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Good video Jon
    Just like mama bird shoving the fledglings out of the nest

Actually better than good excellent
    You must be camped out in front of those hives day and night

Great video Jon. She's a dark one eh?! Hope she and the others get mated this week for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    You must be camped out in front of those hives day and night
    I was leaving on the bike to check colonies at my allotment around lunchtime today and I noticed a lot of workers at the entrance of the apidea. These apideas are just a few feet from my front door under fruit trees I have out the front.
    The worker activity usually means a queen is about to leave or they are waiting for her return. I saw the queen on the porch of the apidea at this point and went back in for the camera and I had the recording within 5 minutes. Just lucky timing rather than camping out.

Checked 9 more apideas at the allotment and saw 8 of the queens and topped up the feeders.
    I have 3 mating sites this year, the garden, the allotment and the association apiary so will be interesting to see if any one site is better than the others. The garden is 1.3 miles from 8 drone colonies at the association apiary and 2.6 miles from 10 I have at the allotment. I have 2 full of drones at the bottom of the garden as well.

I know you always like those drone updates DR.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    She's a dark one eh?! Hope she and the others get mated this week for you.
    All the ones I graft turn out dark.
    I never graft from a colony which has any yellow banded workers as it means a certain percentage of the grafts would be hybrids.
    Last edited by Jon; 17-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool! They certainly seem to 'know' that she needs to fly. Do you think that orientation flights can take place at cooler temps than mating flights?

The three most persistent workers pushing her to fly have their wings held out in a V-shape, just like a human would do if herding geese, hens, sheep.

Not that we have wings of course. I'm distracted by the footie on the telly.
    Last edited by gavin; 17-06-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Cool! They certainly seem to 'know' that she needs to fly. Do you think that orientation flights can take place at cooler temps than mating flights?

The three most persistent workers pushing her to fly have their wings held out in a V-shape, just like a human would do if herding geese, hens, sheep.
    They definitely can take orientation flights at cooler temperatures and also outside the mating flight window which is pretty much confined from 1pm to 5.30pm.
    Did you notice one of the three workers which pushed her off returned to the entrance of the apidea and immediately started to fan, ie having pushed the queen out it moved on to the next task of attracting her back.

Blog Entries

Didn't spot at first that but I can see it now. Presumably we're watching leader bees. Bee policewomen, bee politicians, bee managers. I wonder if the 300ml doesn't include any normally willing to take the lead, are there others willing to step up to the plate as it were? Do bee hierarchies self-assemble?

Blog Entries

Do bee hierarchies self-assemble?
    My guess would be that they do - if the main elements are in place - virgin queen, youngish bees, and foragers, stores, comb.
    This must be an elaborate interaction between innate or heritable traits, the level of pheromone present and the weather.

Blog Entries

And once more it is fascinating to consider what is going on in the bee's head.

Blog Entries

They cannot be 'thinking'
    I suppose the question is what is controlling the behaviour.