Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Authentic carniolan Bee Queens (apis m. carnica) from Slovenia

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    that's bad news for the Portland beekeepers
    I see your difficulty is that where there are fewer beekeepers the whole situation can be destabilised very easily
    Yes, that's exactly how I see it, thoughtless introduction can create total havoc in a small population and I've had the excessive stings to bear that out! Certainly my inland apiaries where there are obviously far more beekeepers/colonies remain quite stable from generation to generation but things do change -as demonstrated by half a dozen Carnica type swarms occupying bait hives this last Spring instead of the more common orange-band mongrels of the previous decade during which I've been in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Everyone finds their situations different and that's the reason why general advice might be OK most of the time but not all of the time.
    Again, wise words. It's so easy to follow the masses without actually ever questioning why we're doing something the way we are.

Blog Entries

The key thing is stability of local populations.
    Putting a load of Buckfast or Carnica colonies into an AMM or stable mongrel area is irresponsible and the same thing would be true introducing AMM to most parts of SE England. All you are doing is stirring up the gene pool with hybrids and that is in no-ones interest.
    Within a year the local beekeepers are going to have problems due to the crosses.

A lot of the new beekeepers are not even aware that there are different subspecies of bee and the consequences of crosses between them.

Hello again.

[links and links to photos with links on them deleted. Please read our policy here: http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...m-your-sponsor You advert for queens is unlikely to be accepted for the Scottish Beekeeper too.]

I do not support hybrides neither. But I am afraid that nothing can be done against importing queens. No one can control beekeepers. So if there is import it is better to be controlled and legal. This way at least you know what you'll get...
    Last edited by gavin; 23-06-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Advertising outside of SBAi policy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beequest View Post

I do not support hybrides neither. But I am afraid that nothing can be done against importing queens. No one can control beekeepers. So if there is import it is better to be controlled and legal. This way at least you know what you'll get...
    There is plenty which can be done - educating beekeepers to raise their own local queens for a start.

What you get appears to be a bee which is docile but excessively swarmy and produces aggressive granddaughters.
    Better to work with what you have locally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beequest View Post
    That is a pretty silly statement given that in your country there *are* laws to prevent importing queens of non-carniolan races and beekeepers *are* controlled.

Here's an interesting link about breeding Slovenian Carniolans

http://www.kranjska-cebela.si/En/kranjska_cebela.php

I think it illustrates how committed they are, and how far the UK would have to change before something similar could be done.

This is what makes the breed so attractive to commercial operations

Oil seed rape subsidy is a problem, in that it is a honey producing crop which encourages bee movements in the main mating season (unlike heather)

If it was a pollination contract operation then the type of bee would be likely be local hybrid other than poly tunnel soft fruit which utilises bumble bees (imported)

http://www.honeyua.com/korea/index.p...mid=31&lang=en

This is the Ukraine
    Similar in some aspects that the breeding program is co-ordinated

On the whole it might be better for funding to be allocated in that direction than CCD bee brains etc

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Can anyone point me to any pictures and explanation of different bees. I'm a bit confused by Carniolian, buck fast, AMM? Etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Can anyone point me to any pictures and explanation of different bees. I'm a bit confused by Carniolian, buck fast, AMM? Etc
    Hi Bridget, I'm sure various books and the highly 'dependable' wiki will be offered up as suitable but you may also find it worth looking at the website of Russell Apiaries (US). They have some good information + clear photos of different races as well as their many 'own brand' hybrids. For those into AMM there's also a couple great posts by Dr. Russell himself describing the way that the original European stock has evolved as ferals across the US and his own plans for "locating and promoting genetic pockets" of amm across the country on their inhouse forum.

Not advertizing as it obviously isn't possible to import from the States.
    Last edited by prakel; 03-07-2012 at 07:49 AM.

It's a bit of a nuisance Bridget I don't know of a really good one

If you find one let me know

Try Glenn Apiaries .com in google quite an interesting site with a few pics of various breeds
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 05-07-2012 at 11:58 PM.