Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian poisonings

Blog Entries

Default Canadian poisonings

Yet another country apparently facing bee poisoning from contamination at maize seed sowing time. How come the problems in Europe and more recently in the US *don't* induce the regulators and the companies to act before this happens?

It is inconceiveable that the companies involved didn't know about the earlier problems in Europe. From the testimony given it is plain that the Canadian farmers are still using air seeders that blow their exhaust skywards rather than down onto or into the soil as is required in Europe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This from Allen Dick on Bee-L:

> http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Parlvu/Time...ceFormatID=873
    > This is a(n) audio track and may take a few moments to begin playing. The initial comments are pretty standard and boring, but the beekeepers' testimony is very impressive.

I finally finished listening to this and all I can say is this:

"Wow! Be sure to listen if you are on the fence about corn and neonics -- or even if your mind is already made up."
    Last edited by gavin; 10-06-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks for the link Gavin, well worth listening to.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Listen yourself and make up your own mind

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Yet another country apparently facing bee poisoning from contamination at maize seed sowing time. How come the problems in Europe and more recently in the US *don't* induce the regulators and the companies to act before this happens?

It is inconceiveable that the companies involved didn't know about the earlier problems in Europe. From the testimony given it is plain that the Canadian farmers are still using air seeders that blow their exhaust skywards rather than down onto or into the soil as is required in Europe.
    I can only recommend that everybody listen to this recording himself as Gavin is not giving you the full picture there.

These beekeepers are very clear about what's happening, this is not only about planter dust but also about colonies killed by the systemic action of these pesticides.

There are plenty of problems from neonics here in the UK too, but the authorities and dominant Beekeeping Associations are remarkably quiet about this.

Last edited by Stromnessbees; 13-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post

There are plenty of problems from neonics here in the UK too,
    Such as....
    Don't forget to provide some evidence.

Blog Entries

Jon its highly unfair that you continue to demand petty things like evidence every time the 'TRUTH' is stated.
    If we had to wait for evidence all the time how could humanity ever advance. Think about scientific method - this was discovered by Christians, and the court system, these crusaders for justice and human betterment never let evidence stop them. That’s why they were forever repeating experiments and why judges ask so many questions - they have to get the right result first, then, that counts as evidence after they fit the other pieces together to support that they have the truth.
    You are getting in the way of progress seriously! Sarah Palin proves Darwin wrong time and time again by her very existance. The Birmingham five. Thats evidence you can put in your pipe and smoke.

All those that agree say : 'Gavin owns Monsanto'
    Last edited by Calum; 14-06-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: tried to sharpen the point of my point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    All those that agree say : 'Gavin owns Monsanto'
    LOL! I thought that it was the other way round?

Blog Entries

The Canadian authorities are taking another look at neonicotinoids with regard to risk to pollinators.

Blog Entries

Gavin: So you don't deny it then? I feel a Life Of Brian video clip coming on.....
    Or maybe just your a very naughty boy...

Blog Entries

Exclamation UK colony losses increased

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Such as....
    Don't forget to provide some evidence.
    Last year the BBKA published an average national winter loss of 13.6 colonies with the following comments:

This is the fourth consecutive year when BBKA members have reported unacceptably high colony losses which is especially puzzling when the weather should have been in the bees favour, but it does show how fragile the health of honey bees is.

Periods of poor nutrition within the active season from February to October remain a likely cause of weakness in adult bees that could cause them to succumb to diseases they would otherwise shrug off.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library...1308824156.pdf

The World At One
    reported today that average colony losses have risen to 16.2 % over the last winter.
    Report here:
    http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library...1339663845.pdf

No problem then?

The fact that bees succumb to diseases they would otherwise shrug off is a clear hint at sublethal neonicotinoid poisoning, these products are working exactly as intended by Bayer: 'Premise Plus Nature' causes diminishing grooming behaviour, colonies (of termites) succumb to secondary infections.
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 14-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Someone wrote somewhere that assuming a colony makes only one cast a year, and that at some point the number of colonies in an area has a natural limit, 50% losses in nature should be normal.

I am suprised with the problems of varroa that they only have 16.5% that is much lower than most european countries expect - and they supply far better support for dealing with varroa than I have seen in the UK so far.

To be clear if you offered a beekeeper, even without varroa, would you take 16,5% losses today garunteed or would you prefer your chances - an experienced beekeeper would take your hand off.
    Sorry Doris but thats very thin evidence.
    also you completely fail to mention the losses are about half of 2007/8 - and seem pretty stable for the last 4 years.
    If a beekeeper cannot be happy with that sort of loss rate, they should really stop now. & seriously that post has lowered my opinion of the trustworthiness of your postings - that report was odviously cherry picked - anyone with a primaryschool level maths would see it does not match your assertations. I heard you're a scientist?

Oh dear god, just read your first link. Average colonies/ beekeeper about 4 - means 1 lost colony = 25% losses. Doris I expect that you critically review like any scientist would, the data that you are producing as evidence before you postulate it as fact. You are just opening yourself to attack.
    Last edited by Calum; 14-06-2012 at 03:53 PM.