Thread: Bayer: Low level neonicotinoids kill colonies by interference with grooming behaviour

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    All things are possible. However the bottom line is current experience. In rape growing areas bees still build up well on the crop and bring in a honey crop as long as the weather cooperates. Commercial beekeepers who watch the performance of their bees more closely than any of us find that the crop is still good for large harvests of honey and healthy colonies. Winter survival is variable but the beekeepers with the best practices have very low levels of winter loss.
    Well, that's the answer to my questions, then. Imidacloprid kills Termites at very low levels of ingestion, but Bees are only seriously affected if field realistic levels are exceeded by operator errors.

CLOSE THREAD?
    P.S. For over twenty years I dipped my sheep in organophosphates, sometimes checked by a policeman.
    P.P.S. Neonics, like many other biocides have a residual, persistent presence in the soil (5 yrs. or more),also, the same amount is usually applied annually on the same land when repeated monoculture, non- rotation is the norm. Is this a productive,benign, sustainable system that should be defended, even supported by beekeepers?There are better methods to promote.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 13-06-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: disillusion