Thread: Emergency queen cell from a drone larvae?

Default Emergency queen cell from a drone larvae?

During an inspection today we found an open emergency queen cell with a larvae amongst the drone cells of a drone frame in the top box of a demaree'd colony. There are some worker brood in the frame but the cells surrounding the QC look bigger than normal worker cells. Has it been known for bees to draw a QC from a drone cell containing a larvae of the appropriate age if nothing else is available. Sorry no pictures yet.

Mike

Blog Entries

Yes, they will do that, but obviously it is not viable.
    The same thing happens in colonies with a drone laying queen.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

We did a Demaree last week and found similar today when we inspected. To clarify Jon does that mean we have nothing to worry about? Just let things take their course?

Blog Entries

I would remove it anyway just in case it is a worker larva in among drone larvae.

I agree with Jon - it should be removed just in case.

Here's a queencell amongst drones I prepared earlier - photographed last week. This was from a queen raising/demaree colony too - found in the bottom box after the queen went. I posted this a couple of days ago elsewhere. A large queen came out from the slightly darker 'bronzed' bit as shown arrowed once I poked it with my hive tool. As there was already an unexpected virgin in the hive I'm pleased I checked it or half of a large colony would have swarmed out.

https://sites.google.com/site/browst...ongstdrone.jpg

I caged the queen with some workers and left it in the house where it was warmer - She's now named Emma B after my son's girlfriend who wouldn't get within three feet of it once she knew what was there.
    Last edited by Adam; 09-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Hi Guys,

Thanks Jon and Adam. If the weather holds I'll sort it out today.It should be sealed by now if a true queen cell.

M

Blog Entries

Adam.
    That is a really good picture as many people argue that there was definitely no extra queen cell in the hive when it swarmed.
    How many would spot that one? Not me I suspect.
    You would only see one like that by shaking bees off frames and looking very carefully, and even then there is a fair chance it would be missed.
    Roger Patterson has a good transparency of an emergency queen cell which must have been made with a 3 day old larva. It is so small it just looks like a raised drone cell but you can tell it is a queen cell by the colour of the tip.
    I had a colony supersede last July and I never saw the cell. It was one I was grafting from and for a couple of weeks I never saw the marked and clipped queen only to be surprised by a larger one which was unclipped and unmarked.
    there must have been a supesedure cell hidden somewhere and I was going through that colony at least twice a week or more looking for frames of small larvae to graft from.

I was quite surprised to see such a good queen come out of it. I was going through the stage of prodding anything that I thought 'might be a queencell' when I came across that one.

I do miss them though.
    A week or so ago one colony was queenless and I put in a pulled queen from the good hive in the apiary. I slipped her in a butler cage and as there was a lump of wax handy, I used that to seal up the end. (Never used wax before). She went in the hive.
    A few day later she was still in the cage. There was a hole in the wax so bees could get in (it was full of workers) bus she was at the back of the cage - almost as if she was being held in. I checked for queeencells in the hive, removed them - grotty ones on an outside frame and let her out. The colony swarmed a day or two later and I collected them.
    In the hive was one crappy queencell buried in manky comb at the bottom of a frame. It didn't look like a queencell at all as I damaged it with my hive tool....