Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwv

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    I pointed this out in a comment to the article, but my comment was made invisible nearly immediately.
    That's a lie, plain and simple. Your comment is still there, but your persistently unpleasant attitude and your determination to post your neonicotinoid campaigning has caused me to withdraw your permission to post any more comments on the Home page or in the Blogs. For now you are still allowed to post here, but don't bank on keeping that ability.

This is an important piece of work which shows a change in DWV after the introduction of Varroa, not just the amount per bee and the frequency of infection but also the type(s) of DWV present.

On the Hawaii vs Scotland angle there is work taking place on Scottish infested and non-infested colonies. UK-based reasearchers saw the value in looking at such material and are making progress on it. However they haven't yet published the results and so we'll have to wait to learn more.

I should have said 'non-infested colonies sources in Scotland'. I don't know where the infested colonies came from.
    Last edited by gavin; 10-06-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Just trying to be accurate

Blog Entries

Exclamation Not a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    That's a lie, plain and simple. Your comment is still there, ...
    Gavin, don't accuse me of lying!

On the forum home page we get your posting 'Honebee problems explained' and below it in blue writing it says '3 comments' with a little symbol next to it.

When I click on this, the article expands to its full size, and the term '3 comments' is still there but no comments become visible.

When I click on it again nothing changes.

Maybe you made these comments invisible to all forum members except for moderators?

But I am definitely not lying!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Not a lie!

Not a lie.jpg
    This is all I get.

Blog Entries

Then in that case I apologise for using such a strong term when something milder would have been appropriate. I hadn't realised this, but I had effectively made the comments disappear for you alone while you are logged in. My intention had just been to stop you posting comments there.

The comments are visible to all forum members except yourself. They are also visible to any guest who drops by, and you should be able to see them by logging out.

Blog Entries

Question Bees with DWV appear normal?

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    The deformed wing's caused by the virus I believe are only the accute tip of the iceberg (the only bit beekeepers can easily diagnose)and most bees with dwv appear normal, I may be wrong and cant find a reference to back this up, but I believe most of the damage caused by dwv goes unseen.
    So can you please elaborate and tell us what happens to the infected bees?

Do you think they just have a normal life, do you think they fly away and then their wings deform and they can't fly back or do you think they just drop dead in the hive?

Blog Entries

DWV is known to shorten the life of individual workers and is linked to failures of colonies to survive the winter.

http://aem.asm.org/content/78/4/981.short

Any wing deformation takes place as the adult hatches from the pupa. Once the wings dry they are essentially inert structures and just become worn as the bee ages.

Blog Entries

Question DWV causing CCD?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    DWV is known to shorten the life of individual workers and is linked to failures of colonies to survive the winter.

http://aem.asm.org/content/78/4/981.short

Any wing deformation takes place as the adult hatches from the pupa. Once the wings dry they are essentially inert structures and just become worn as the bee ages.
    I know that, but I wondered what MBC thought of it.

From the abstract:
    Individual dead workers were collected daily and quantitatively analyzed for deformed wing virus ...
    In CCD the workers all disappeared, so they couldn't be collected.

This doesn't look conclusive to me.
    Can I have a look at the whole article please?

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    I know that, but I wondered what MBC thought of it.
    It appears you needed educating on the point at seven minutes past six yesterday :
    "

How could it be, that the scores of scientists who investigated CCD and other bee problems should not have noticed huge amounts of bees with deformed wings?

How should bees with deformed wings have disappeared from their hives and left just an empty box behind, as they obviously can't fly?"

Guys there is a lot of provocative and unnecessarily harsh comments in this link surely we can disagree without losing perspective.
    A bandwagon pulled by hobby horses is just that
    You see lots of them in beekeeping
    I daresay there are lots of people who begin with the conclusion and look for the facts to fit it.
    But be honest with yourselves we have all done it at some time or another.

You catch more bees with sugar than vinegar as they say

(That analogy doesn't work if flies are the target species though)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    The news this morning has it that Dwarf Wing Virus is the world-wide silent killer of bees,spread by Varroa.There is no known treatment and infected hives would be located and dealt with ???.
    I am sorry to be pedantic but I think DWF is actually Deformed Wing Virus. Just so that people don't go round thinking there is a new kid on the block which kills everything.
    Last edited by Ruary; 11-06-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: emphasis