Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike palmer: The sustainable apiary

Blog Entries

Default Mike palmer: The sustainable apiary

Thanks for the bump, I'd forgotten about this one, finally watched the first one last night and it's refreshing to be directed to an internet vid that isnt a load of old baloney. He talks a lot of sense I feel.

I started overwintering Nucs last year and it worked out pretty well although I was caught out by the miserable weather last year. But I have another Nuc on the go this year and it was bouncing along when I went up to do the OA that I think I'll be wanting to put it in a full size hive at the earliest opportunity.

He's certainly given me some food for thought feeding into this years plans so I've bookmarked the vids so I can watch them again.

If he does make his way to the UK and someone spots it, please stick a post on here and I think I'm also minded to make the trip to wherever he crops up.
    Last edited by Neils; 28-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    It would be great to see him here in the UK and I'd certainly be in the audience no matter how far I needed to travel.
    I had a pm from Mike Palmer earlier, which led onto a telephone conversation a little later in the day,and the good news is, he will be doing a talk at the national honey show in October, all being well, plus spending a couple of days on Exmoor i hope.
    Last edited by Pete L; 28-02-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Excellent news. Thanks for the heads-up.

Has anyone managed to watch the Mike Palmer Vimeo video recently? It never starts playing on my iPad ... I can watch other Vimeo offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Has anyone managed to watch the Mike Palmer Vimeo video recently? It never starts playing on my iPad ... I can watch other Vimeo offerings.
    Just had a look, playing fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    I had a pm from Mike Palmer earlier, which led onto a telephone conversation a little later in the day,and the good news is, he will be doing a talk at the national honey show in October, all being well, plus spending a couple of days on Exmoor i hope.
    Looks like he's going to be busy with a series of interesting sounding lectures

http://www.honeyshow.co.uk/lecture_convention.shtml

I can already imagine the blood pressure of a few extreme-insulators rising at the thought of 'Keeping bees in frozen North America' being presented to the British public.

I had no idea folks in the UK were watching. Wonderful!

If you are attending the National, do say hello. I'll be there the entire time. Will also be addressing beekeeping groups in the areas of Somerset, Shropshire, Worcestershire. I hope to gain an understanding of beekeeping in the UK.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I had no idea folks in the UK were watching. Wonderful!
    If I can just say, Welcome. It's nice to see you post here.

Will your talks to the local groups be based around specific material from the NHS lectures or have a flavour of their own?

Not really sure. It depends on what they want. I plan on talking about nucleus colonies and/or raising queens, and take it from there.

A new, nicely polished version of the talk, courtesy of the National Honey Show: