Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston

Blog Entries

I like David Cramp's Practical guide to Beekeeping.

Not overly bestowed with photos though but I've found it a very useful book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    I like David Cramp's Practical guide to Beekeeping.

Not overly bestowed with photos though but I've found it a very useful book.
    Great book bit too thick to make the cut though

Sue Bubbnell "A book of bees".
    Not for technical reference, but for the bedside cabinet / park bench /commute to work.

Quote Originally Posted by beeanne View Post
    Sue Bubbnell "A book of bees".
    Not for technical reference, but for the bedside cabinet / park bench /commute to work.
    Thats a new one on me

How about Beekeepers Folly
    John Ratcliff
    Thats quite entertaining not very useful and a bit thick though

My standby references are
    Ted hooper- dull to read but practical
    Clive de bruyn - (practical Beekeeping) - easier reading and very practical

For laugh out loud done that, got the T shirt - The Bad Beekeepers Club by Bill Turnbull. I could write the sequel for that!

Best of all though, and something I turn to regularly is my download and printed copy of My Beekeeping Year written by Ian Craig and available on the SBA website. It's the series of articles he did for the magazine and is based on the double brood chamber method and even better, is based on the Scottish seasons. I refer to this time and time again

Quote Originally Posted by Beejud View Post
    My standby references are
    Ted hooper- dull to read but practical
    Clive de bruyn - (practical Beekeeping) - easier reading and very practical

For laugh out loud done that, got the T shirt - The Bad Beekeepers Club by Bill Turnbull. I could write the sequel for that!

Best of all though, and something I turn to regularly is my download and printed copy of My Beekeeping Year written by Ian Craig and available on the SBA website. It's the series of articles he did for the magazine and is based on the double brood chamber method and even better, is based on the Scottish seasons. I refer to this time and time again
    Yes Bill Turnbull got a few laughs but he wasn't that bad at beekeeping compared to me at least.
    Ian Craig did a great job in his series all useful stuff plus some original ideas that don't pop up elsewhere.
    Ted Hooper not for me I'm Afraid

If you live on the East coast of Scotland Beekeeping by Cumming and Logan is old but good (1950) A. Cumming was the Sec. of Inverness BA and Margaret Logan lectured at North Of Scotland Ag College on beekeeping

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Yes Bill Turnbull got a few laughs but he wasn't that bad at beekeeping compared to me at least.
    Ted Hooper not for me I'm Afraid
    We agree on something then

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    We agree on something then
    Lots of things probably most

Beekeeping by Cumming and Logan has a section on spreading the brood and why that was necessary in big hives like the Glenn which had 15 frames
    Well worth a read