Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Artificial) Swarming: 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I know Tom Seeley has referred to the ideal capacity of a new site being 40 litres and that this is a constant with bate hive construction but does anyone know the origin of this figure?
    I think it's probably because René, the world famous swarm catcher down here, buys his wine in 40 litre containers and then wants to recycle them.

Actually i'm going to contest this 40 litre business. Perhaps it's an average like the typical size house or soething like that. But surely it must depend on such things as type of bee, locality, time of year, importance of nectar flow, etc.? My talking with long time beekeepers gives the rough rule: big bait hives attract big swarms and little bait hives attract little swarms.

Blog Entries

Tom Seeley did set up an experiment looking at the different sizes of container and if I remember correctly they preferred 40l over 30l.
    My apple wine fermenting vessels hold about 30l but I had not considered housing bees in them.

Welcome to the forum Julian btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I know Tom Seeley has referred to the ideal capacity of a new site being 40 litres and that this is a constant with bate hive construction but does anyone know the origin of this figure?
    Tom Seeley's Bait Hive research is in this pdf http://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstrea...ney%20Bees.pdf I have a feeling it dates from 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Actually i'm going to contest this 40 litre business. Perhaps it's an average like the typical size house or soething like that. But surely it must depend on such things as type of bee, locality, time of year, importance of nectar flow, etc.? My talking with long time beekeepers gives the rough rule: big bait hives attract big swarms and little bait hives attract little swarms.
    I'm no expert, far from it, but my take on it is that, in general and if they can make a choice, they prefer something a "reasonable" height above the ground because the higher they are the easier to defend, and the further they can see/fly without being interrupted by undergrowth. I think they also prefer something that's "the right" size for that particular swarm to thrive in, which may or may not be the magical 40 litres.

I think the height above the ground is something Sealey has returned to and has changed his mind, and I think acknowledged that he was originally looking at around, or above, his head height because it was easier for him. Can't remember where I read it though, so it could have been in a dream!
    Last edited by Bumble; 29-05-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added personal disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I think it's probably because René, the world famous swarm catcher down here, buys his wine in 40 litre containers and then wants to recycle them.
    Oh, that René! He is famous in these parts because of the amount of Rosé he consumes before he sets his bait hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Welcome to the forum Julian btw.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Tom Seeley's Bait Hive research is in this pdf http://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstrea...ney%20Bees.pdf I have a feeling it dates from 1986.
    Thank you Bumble. Very informative document that I believe answers my question.

Blog Entries

Just done an artificial swarm on one of mine but I'm a little puzzled at what was actually going on. 2 frames in, classic charged queen cell so plonked the crownboard back on, set up a new hive and set about finding the queen. Plonked her in a Nuc while I swapped brood boxes over stuck her frame in the middle of the new box, QX and supers back on, jobs a good'un.

Went through the frames three times but only found two queen cells. Made up a Nuc with the second anyway. I did find what looked to be a classic, sealed emergency cell. This was on one of the combs swapped over when I donated brood into one of the smaller hives last week.

Is this something other than swarming given the small number of queen cells? Am I mistaking something else for an emergency queen cell? It definitely contained a larvae and definitely wasn't a drone cell.

The queen in this hive is less than a year old and I'd say I'd still laying like a champ so I'd be very surprised if its supersedure.

I was expecting this hive to prepare to swarm this week, it just doesn't look like classic swarm preparation with that few queen cells.

Kicking myself for not taking photos but the weather isn't brilliant and I was conscious that I had hives in various states of disarray all over the place.
    Last edited by Neils; 01-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Neil,
    I've got one queen that is still there despite me removing queencells on two occasions so I will leave alone and see if they supercede her. Her colony has built up very well this year and has space; not all 14 x 12 frames were fully drawn at the last count. So maybe the bees knows something we don't.
    I have another colony where there was only the slightest whiff of a queencell and I found all the bees under the hive with the queen after they swarmed.
    So two extremes of swarming there. Never had one go without a queencell started apart from a mini-nuc which was packed to the rafters and they tried to abscond. The little hive really was full.

An A/S with just foundation has no laying space and no storage space and it can take a while I think for the bees to settle. And of course an A/S has no wax producers so it doesn't work like a real swarm. Hence the suggestion of a queen excluder under for a wee while.
    Last edited by Adam; 01-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries

It's a busy colony, 9 14x12 frames of brood, 3 supers full off bees and for the past few weeks I've been taking a frame of brood out and giving them comb. Last week the play cups were increasing in number and a few had eggs in, hence thinking this was the week I was likely to find queen cells and why I just closed them up and did an AS soon as I found the first one.

It was just a bit of a surprise to find that few queen cells and why I thought I'd question what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Does anyone have a better quality PDF than this (which I've seen before but gave up reading as I couldn't differentiate between the c's and the e's)?

There's also a good account of bait hives in Honeybee Democracy by the same author.

So far I've had two colonies that refused to play ball when I did an A.S. Both absconded from the bottom box.Top boxes have no brood,no Q cells,no eggs-can't see any sign of a queen but have lovely polished cells.I'll give them a day or two then will re-unite and give a frame of eggs and see what happens.No sign of any swarms either.

Blog Entries

This is the cast swarm I was being played with earlier

We have another 8 queens from that hive safely plonked in Apideas. Yeah, yeah, swarmy bees. Given that they've been slightly less than well managed I'm not going to begrudge a colony getting to the end of May before it swarms (that was definitely a cast, there were queens popping out left right and centre once we started removing queen cells).