Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about GM crops?

Blog Entries

Well I presume he still has his trademark moustache so that puts Rosie in the frame.
    He also recently posted some photos of his 3rd world homeplace which is wall to wall with chickens and goats and seems to be permanently flooded.
    Last edited by Jon; 31-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Blog Entries

GM and pesticides are a cover for Chemtrails.
    It is no secret that the catholic church have large stakes in Bayer, Monsanto and all the major airlines

Blog Entries

You will be telling me next they are in the market for Rangers!

Blog Entries

Thumbs down ADM, a multinational corporation

Calum, the more I look at the company where you invest your beekeeping profits,the more I dislike it:
    Asia and Pacific Rim

ADM’s worldwide agricultural processing, trading and sales operations comprise wholly and jointly owned plants and sales offices located throughout Asia and the Pacific Rim.
    A key part of ADM’s Asia strategy today is our strategic ownership interest in Wilmar International Limited, Asia’s premiere agricultural processing business. Wilmar operates palm plantations; crushing facilities for various types of oilseeds; vegetable oil refineries and packaging facilities; plants that produce oleo chemicals, soy proteins and fertilizers; and multiple wheat and rice milling facilities.
    ADM also has ownership interest in Alfred C. Toepfer International, a global merchandiser of agricultural commodities and processed products, which maintains an Asian regional office in Singapore that coordinates the business of branch offices throughout Asia.
    http://www.adm.com/en-US/worldwide/a...s/default.aspx

This is their Asia page, for example. It shows their heavy involvement in palm oil production, which is linked to clear felling of rainforests whch are home to many native tribes as well as Orang Utans.

I stick to the motto 'small is beautiful' instead of golbalization.

Can't you invest your money in buying a piece of land for a local box scheme instead? That way you know exactly what your money is involved in and you would be helping to supply heathy food locally as well as providing natural forage for your bees.

I've been outed by Jon! I'm off to biobees to infiltrate them now. They're not as bright as you lot. If I tell them that my long hive bees are happier than my national ones and that Bayer is run by Satan himself I'll be in.

As for GM I think it's a wonderful idea but I'm not convinced that human beings are clever enough to know that their work in this field is safe. It's just impossible to test or anticipate every eventuality when developing anything with such potential for harm as well as good. On the other hand do we just sit around and let people starve. If there were a God and if it were me I'd get people working on stemming population growth but as we are run by normal humans (at best) any efforts we make to increase food production will just put off the evil day when we hit the buffers. Our descendants will suffer in the end.

I'd rather talk beekeeping than face reality like this. Who's for talking about breeding gentle bees?

Rosie

Agree: gentlenessis next to godliness and all that (mis-quoting is a Good Thing).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Calum, the more I look at the company where you invest your beekeeping profits,the more I dislike it:
    http://www.adm.com/en-US/worldwide/a...s/default.aspx

This is their Asia page, for example. It shows their heavy involvement in palm oil production, which is linked to clear felling of rainforests whch are home to many native tribes as well as Orang Utans.

I stick to the motto 'small is beautiful' instead of golbalization.

Can't you invest your money in buying a piece of land for a local box scheme instead? That way you know exactly what your money is involved in and you would be helping to supply heathy food locally as well as providing natural forage for your bees.
    They have excellent share price and dividend performance. I asked my bees and they agree whether or not I invest in a multinational will, on the whole, make no difference.
    Local box schemes tend to have a higher carbon footprint than larger growers. With the German land price in my area at >400€/square meter I'd have to plant hashish or poppy to get a good return. Arable land much further out of the town is cheaper but the carbon footprint goes up the further you go from your market..
    Do bees polinate marijuana?
    Last edited by Calum; 31-05-2012 at 10:04 PM.

I once read about London police who kept bees on a roof somewhere central. They collected pollen from the foragers and tested it for illicit substances. They then read the waggle dance which led them to the perpetrators. How's that for lateral thinking?

rosie

Blog Entries

I'd love to believe that's true.

Blog Entries

Maybe an excuse to batter down a few doors!!