Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding that Elusive Queen.

Please read this

http://www.norfolkbee.co.uk/beekeepe...ding-the-queen

And then tell me what you don't like about it!

Blog Entries

Seems pretty good, one thing I would point out about donor frames is that I've seen hives that we know are queen less take several donor frames before they raise queen cells. In one case they never did and were eventually requeened from elsewhere.

A tip given by someone wiser than me was to look down either side of the frame as you lift it out. The Queen stands proud of the rest and can often be found this way.
    Last edited by Julian; 31-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Seems pretty good, one thing I would point out about donor frames is that I've seen hives that we know are queen less take several donor frames before they raise queen cells. In one case they never did and were eventually requeened from elsewhere.
    Were they DEFINITELY queenless or was there a duff queen in there that eventually got removed? You are probably correct. though.

I think beekeeping works on the 80% rule. In that a rule only applies about 80% of the time; For the 20%, well anything goes.

Blog Entries

I think there are only so many times that a group of Beekeepers can go through a hive a continually miss the queen, but otherwise yes I'd agree.

Generally it works and generally bees are much better at sorting themselves out if given the means than we give them credit for. But you do occasionally get belligerent little buggers who just don't play ball.

I think my general point would be that I wouldn't necessarily take 1 frame not having queen cells on it as conclusive.
    Last edited by Neils; 01-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.