Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding that Elusive Queen.

Blog Entries

Default Finding that Elusive Queen.

Hearing the familiar cry of the new beekeeper at the moment "I can't find the queen!"

What are your sure fire methods for locating that queen you need to find but haven't spotted the last 2 times you went through the frames and started to look for her?

I'll start off easy, before I do anything else I stop looking closely at the bees and look for her movement. She moves differently to the workers and her back legs tend to catch my attention as she scurries, it is nearly always the movement of her legs that I spot first.

I also tend to concentrate my search, if I haven't done too much shaking of bees, to frames containing eggs.

Blog Entries

Use little or no smoke so she will be where she wants to be, ie laying eggs somewhere
    She wont usually be on a pollen frame.
    She wont usually be on a frame of stores.
    She wont usually be on a frame of sealed brood with nowhere to lay. (although she could possibly be passing through)

So realistically, there are about 4 or 5 frames out of the 11 in a national which she is likely to be on.
    The most likely place to find her is a frame with a big patch of sealed brood where the centre part has started to hatch.
    Queens are drawn to the laying space and you often find her laying right in the middle of the frame.
    if I come across a frame like this I look at it much more carefully.
    Last edited by Jon; 24-05-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: tidy up

If you watch a queeen in a obs hive you will see that she spends almost all her time wandering over open cells and looking into each one to see if it's ready for an egg. Every 10 minutes or so she will walk out from the open cell area and park herself on some capped honey on the edge of the nest. The others will feed and groom her there for a few minutes before she goes back to the open cells again.

Other clues are:

Combs near the queen generally have adhering bees that are much calmer than the ones distant from the queen
    The queen smells. I can't smell her her but when I went through one of my apiaries with Roger Patterson he knew immediately when we lifted a frame with the queen on almost every time - just by the smell. If I had a better sense of smell that's a skill I would try to develop.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Don't be fooled Steve. It's not the smell. He finds them lined up with ley lines.

If I really have to find the queen, then I try and focus only on looking for the queen, and not get sidetracked by other stuff. I reckon if I focus on the queen only then everything else gets "tuned out" and I can then see her.

Blog Entries

Funny, Megan Seymour said exactly the same thing with regard to looking for foulbrood. She never looks for the queen, queen cells or anything else, just focuses on the single task at hand. It is easy to get distracted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Funny, Megan Seymour said exactly the same thing with regard to looking for foulbrood. She never looks for the queen, queen cells or anything else, just focuses on the single task at hand. It is easy to get distracted.
    When she was showing how to find EFB at Gormanston, some one asked her about a queen cell which was on the comb. What queen cell she replied: she hadn't even noticed it as her concentration was on the brood cells.

Blog Entries

I do similar but my general technique is to look for what is different to everything else i expect to see on this frame? but I also do that in "passes" so each time I'm only trying to do or look for one thing.

The queen moves differently to other bees, I find her legs very distinctive.

When it comes to the bees themselves, the majority are hopefully healthy workers so what looks different? Different colours, deformed wings, drones and hopefully queens all become easier to spot.
    Last edited by Neils; 31-05-2012 at 12:09 PM.

http://youtu.be/IGQmdoK_ZfY

If you're not familiar with the infamous Harvard basketball "monkey business" experiment, then have a look at the video above. Did you notice anything odd?

There could be little green aliens in amongst the bees if I'm looking only for the queen (or only for anything else), am not sure I'd see them!
    Last edited by beeanne; 31-05-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Linked to video

Blog Entries

I've done that, and been completely amazed watching it again when the guy in the ape suit wanders across the screen.