Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health & Safety - Risk Assesments

Blog Entries

They have a guide to organising an apiary meeting, but for the risk assessment readers are pointed to the HSE.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/information_leaflets.php

Several local associations have done their own but they vary in the level of detail and the scope quite markedly.

PS - And, is there an exchange of information between the BBKA and the SBA? Yes, there is a forum (CONBA) to bring together the four national BKAs and some useful business is done there. The BBKA is the big brother though, and to my mind there is insufficient consultation before organising apparently UK-wide initiatives and sponsorship deals.
    Last edited by gavin; 06-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.

I was interested to see your message re risk assessments which you posted last year. I am involved in setting up a community apiary and wonder if you completed a risk assessment in the end? If so are you willing to share it?

Blog Entries

Hi Soozin

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your community apiary .. and do tell us all about it! There is a Blog facility on this site if that is of any interest.

The SBA was going to write its own guidance on apiary visit RAs but has now adopted the very comprehensive document produced by Allison Laws of the Moray Beekeepers Association. You can read it at this link.

It might be nice if the Executive could let us know on the forum when it makes progress like this - especially on a topic that was raised on here for action by the Executive.

Having just read through the document it seems useful and comprehensive. In practice, apiary visit organisers need to know the things in the document and need to act on some of them. We ask visitors (on the bigger visits rather than just a few folk assembling to work at the apiary) informally the question on allergies, and make sure that we have a medically qualified person on site. That is fairly easy for us as we have several retired medical practitioners around plus others trained in First Aid.

I would have liked to have seen something in the document on the appropriate recovery position for someone rendered unconscious by anaphylaxis, as that is the single greatest risk of serious harm and it is not that unlikely if you are hosting groups of people at an apiary. Very prompt action can save lives.

best wishes

Gavin
    Last edited by gavin; 26-08-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Regarding Anaphylaxis, this may be useful:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaphyl...Treatment.aspx

The horizontal position is important for a potentially fatal condition such as this where the blood pressure may crash. Of course, becoming prostrate is a natural consequence of losing consciousness!

Using an EpiPen on someone is not something for the untrained, and that is recognised in the Moray document. For one thing you would need to be sure that you were observing anaphylaxis rather than a cardiac or stroke event.

If you don't have a recently trained First Aider available (or medical professional) I would consider training:

http://www.firstaid.org.uk/anaphylax...se-details.htm
    Last edited by gavin; 26-08-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Yes, I agree the Moray document is excellent and we have adopted it for the West Fife meetings after asking their permission, though this has been given. I agree with Gavin about the safe position for collapsed individuals. At the start of every meeting it is prudent to enquire about allergies and whether anyone is carrying an epipen and what their specific instructions are regarding its use in the event of sting, followed by collapse. You can never be too sure; 99% of the time everything goes fine and then.......! I was working at the apiary on maintenance and left a cup of tea on the bench well away from the bees and there were none flying about. A little later I returned feeling thirsty, took a quick swig and was promptly stung on the tongue well to the back by a half drowned bee. I can tell you it was very painful. I dashed to the car and by some contorted efforts managed to pull my tongue out a good way and just spot the sting in the driver's mirror and pull the sting out. Thankfully I did not suffer any tongue or laryngeal swelling. Incidentally a useful addition to a beekeeper's box, especially, if working alone would be a little pocket mirror for seeing and removing stings from the face area.

Several years ago I checked through our association records and found one record of a beekeeper collapsing and dying from a sting reaction, but this was in the 1950's. Simple things save lives, such as checking on mobile phone connectivity, describing the apiary situation clearly if help need be summoned and making sure access is possible. All well documented in the Moray document. We now insist that beekeepers pull on their veils when entering the apiary at a demonstration and signing a register of attendance as well as confirming they have understood the risks. It is worth remembering that at this time of the year there can be a lot of wasps around the apiary and those who do not react to bee stings can still suffer a nasty reaction to wasp stings.
    Alvearium

Blog Entries

Many thanks for that Alvearium. Perhaps I could add for those reading that Alvearium is a highly experienced member of the medical profession. I have no medical training.

The point about wasps is a good one, and the unexpected events that can cause trouble.

The idea of a register of attendees with explicit consideration of the risks is a good one. Perhaps we will adopt that for our association meetings.

I have been diagnosed as being fully allergic to bee venom after an incident some years ago and a subsequent blood test. The lovely people at Ninewells hospital in Dundee have cured me of that by a desensitisation course. I do recall at the time the nurse at my local practice telling me as she took the blood sample of a very recent death of a beekeeper in Fife from this. I think that he had recently moved into the area so he may not have made himself known to the local association. Anaphylaxis is a really serious issue for beekeepers. We do let our beginners know about this before they commit themselves to buying equipment and bees.

The SBA has published a RA document some months ago based on the MBKA one, which is acknowledged with thanks. See Technical Data Sheet no 17 at http://scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/Pra...Downloads.aspx