Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health & Safety - Risk Assesments

Default Health & Safety - Risk Assesments

In setting up an Association apiary for Moray Beekeepers we have had to carry out a 'risk assessment' and it really is a 'can of worms'. Fortunately, one of our members is a Health & Safety Inspector otherwise we would really be struggling. She thought SBA would already have generic risk assessments done for Association Training days, open meetings and the like but I can't find any on the web site. So, do SBA have any such documents? Or have other Local Associations done a risk assessment? If not it is my opinion that they are long overdue. cheers!

Blog Entries

I can't recall ever seeing such risk assessments, and yes, there ought to be generic ones available. Perhaps this is something for the next re-write of the local association secretaries manual:

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk...nts/manual.pdf

We'll confer and get back to you.

G.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing such risk assessments, and yes, there ought to be generic ones available. Perhaps this is something for the next re-write of the local association secretaries manual
    G.
    Good idea! [reminder to self: check to see if any of our members have first aid qualification!]

Default Risk assessments

You've got to laugh ay. Risk assess this, risk assess that and risk assess the next thing. Its such a shame that we now live in such a world. I doubt the bees would let us even lift the lid on there boxes if the little blighters could carry out risk assessments themselves.

I had presumed that SBA and individual associations’ public indemnity insurance would have required some sort of measures to be put in place when training or sighting association apiaries. I can't imagine a claims assessor being impressed by the thought of the assembled ranks of the great and good staring at each other and shuffling their feet uneasily as the new start goes into anaphylactic shock. Though having read the post about minimum age of those attending association meetings it appears there is little in the way of prescriptive guidance - thankfully as it may have precluded my wee one from association training days.

If there is nothing in place I know a Health & Safety/Risk manager who would probably assist if needed.

I don't remember anything at the SBA level on risk assessment, however Ayr beekeepers have put on public demonstrations and I remember one of their members mentioning it. If anybody needs to do a risk assessment if you look at the Health and Safety Executive web site they have published a 5 step plan to producing a risk assessment

Pretty sure I saw one on Edinburgh Beek website. I'll have a look and see if I can find it again.

Eb

Blog Entries

There certainly used to be. There is also a draft SBA one kicking about which needs some attention before the new season gets underway.

Blog Entries

did a great risk assessment today at a honey training event (that you have to attend more or less to legally sell honey).
    It was great, I'll try to recreate a bit to give an idea of it.

fmea.jpg

similar to FMEAs really very good indeed to improve quality in processes!
    Last edited by Calum; 05-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.

I am pretty sure the BBKA has produced a guide on this .....is there any exchange of info between the bodies?