Yes, I agree the Moray document is excellent and we have adopted it for the West Fife meetings after asking their permission, though this has been given. I agree with Gavin about the safe position for collapsed individuals. At the start of every meeting it is prudent to enquire about allergies and whether anyone is carrying an epipen and what their specific instructions are regarding its use in the event of sting, followed by collapse. You can never be too sure; 99% of the time everything goes fine and then.......! I was working at the apiary on maintenance and left a cup of tea on the bench well away from the bees and there were none flying about. A little later I returned feeling thirsty, took a quick swig and was promptly stung on the tongue well to the back by a half drowned bee. I can tell you it was very painful. I dashed to the car and by some contorted efforts managed to pull my tongue out a good way and just spot the sting in the driver's mirror and pull the sting out. Thankfully I did not suffer any tongue or laryngeal swelling. Incidentally a useful addition to a beekeeper's box, especially, if working alone would be a little pocket mirror for seeing and removing stings from the face area.

Several years ago I checked through our association records and found one record of a beekeeper collapsing and dying from a sting reaction, but this was in the 1950's. Simple things save lives, such as checking on mobile phone connectivity, describing the apiary situation clearly if help need be summoned and making sure access is possible. All well documented in the Moray document. We now insist that beekeepers pull on their veils when entering the apiary at a demonstration and signing a register of attendance as well as confirming they have understood the risks. It is worth remembering that at this time of the year there can be a lot of wasps around the apiary and those who do not react to bee stings can still suffer a nasty reaction to wasp stings.
Alvearium