Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolbox?

Nope that was just opened up after visiting the hives. If I moved the pens somewhere safe, and only kept this years in the box I'd lose all the others in the safe place that can never be found again. My hives aren't in my garden and have to drive to them so need to be prepared, else face having to drive back and forwards or trips on days afterwards, the car normally has spare floors, QE, crownboards and framed supers, and a nuc just in case at this time of year.

Blog Entries

I like to have wee plastic containers as well if the urge comes upon me to take a sample of a few bees for wing checking. Drone ranger, hold your tongue.
    I use the containers my home brew stuff comes in, campden tablets, potassium sorbate, yeast nutrient, that sort of thing.
    Recycle. You know it makes sense.

Blog Entries

Ahh, that safe place that can never be found again. I have a few of these round here. I wonder how many beekeepers are like us, carting around spare kit in the back of the car most of the time. I even had some in the passengers seat today and had to do some serious rearranging to give Ankush a lift home. Jon doesn't have that problem, wise and planet-friendly fellow that he is.

Yes, Jon, I have had various containers kicking about in that plastic box. Some made it to the freezer and I'm not sure if they made it out again.

Blog Entries

yes there is a Sargasso sea element to some freezers where beewings and nosema samples collect as if becalmed.

I'm not into that part yet, but with help from Rosie, I have the software, I have a bit of knowledge on how to do it, just awaiting the hardware, then i'll get into collecting samples from my hives. Then now I can find a use for all my spare homebrewing pots I have saved for some reason yet to be found.

The box shown in the email address is actually designed to take the parafinalia used by aeromoddelers for starting and running model aircraft.Carries spare fuel,starters,spare propellors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I remembered to take the dog with me but forgot a cover cloth
    I'm amazed that your dog is so well trained that it will lie on top of the frames whilst you inspect.

Wraith, you box is scarily tidy, but I'm reassured to know that you also have a 'safe place' that's so safe that things get permanently lost.

Blog Entries

LOL. She is terrified of bees. I leave the bicycle at a gate 100 yards from the apiary and tie her to it.
    She got stung at my allotment once and the next time I brought her there she sneaked out and a woman found her walking home a mile down the road. Luckily my phone number was on her tag.

A friend of mine is an ex-inspector and he says that he once visited an apiary and found a dead dog tethered to the gate. It had been stung to death due to being unable to run off.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Mine is tethered to the bicycle rather than the gate and it is well out of range of any bees. Worst case scenario she could cycle off.