Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolbox?

Default Toolbox?

Prompted by this post .. http://beenatural.wordpress.com/2012...ral-bees-site/

I'm disorganised!

What sort of beekeeping tool box do you use?

Blog Entries

Good question Bumble, in mine, similar to this:

I have:

A spare hive tool
    Frame Wire
    A mini Blow Torch with some gas refills
    A bigger blow torch suitable for scorching hives
    A crown of thorns queen cage
    some hive straps
    plenty of hive and frame nails
    A little hammer (as seen in the frame guide)
    tweezers for hoiking out things from comb that I want a closer look at.
    spare smoker fuel
    Duct Tape
    Lighters
    Matchbox
    Queen Cages
    spare pair of Nitrile gloves.
    spare packet of washing soda.

Not all of that is essential, but I get shouted at if I leave too many bits of beekeeping stuff lying around so it's normally in the back of the car at least when I'm out on my travels.
    Last edited by Neils; 18-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Blog Entries

I keep stuff in the panniers of the bike.
    Duct tape, queen cages, a marking pen, plunger cage and snips, cigarette lighter.
    Other stuff is in the shed at my allotment where I have most of my bees.
    I bought a second smoker to avoid having to carry that about and I don't want to set my bicycle on fire like that guy on beekeeping forum who burned out his car with a smoker.
    I have a light veil which fits into the side pocket.
    if you stopped me on the street any day of the week you would find a couple of pairs of nitrile gloves in my trouser pockets.

Blog Entries

Definitely poster of the week material. If we'd had poster of the week before this recent outpouring of humour and wit, Jon would have been it most weeks. Great to see that he has plenty of competition.

I have a large key - for the association apiary shed - in my rear trouser pocket, always, and a lighter in a front pocket, virtually always. Even in the winter, as I'd lose them if I put them elsewhere. All on the right side for some strange reason. Perhaps because I'm right-handed? And yes, the trousers do get changed.

I did buy a toolbox like Nellie has but am too disorganised to use it. Slightly worried by Nellie's enthusiasm for pyromania.

I use a bigger version of the one above

Marking pens, tippex, spare nails for hives and frames, matches, porter escapes, in main box blow torch, hammer, 1kg of fondant, knife, brush, spare smoker fuel, entrance blocks, screw driver, screws,, hive tools x2 ( I have just noticed I have left one up the apairary Doh) queen cage, queen plunger, more matches, drone comb, more matches, hive corner securing brackets, smoker lighting sticks, push pins for marking things, and my iPhone with beetight on it for inspection records etc, and a spare finger so I can use the iPhone whilst wearing gloves, and finally cable ties.

But no duct tape??? Can I ask why duct tape??

Blog Entries

If you love correx, you need that tape to hold it together.
    Also good for blocking entrances or reducing one which is too wide.

Blog Entries

But no duct tape??? Can I ask why duct tape??
    It if moves and it's not supposed to, put duct tape on it. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, put WD40 on it

Very handy for moving hives around and temporary repairs

Not come across it yet, but the law of sod now say's I have to carry some as next visit i'll need it!

Blog Entries

Wraith, your tool box is so organised it almost brings on an anxiety attack, especially those Posca pens all lined up.
    Like the meatloaf song, I work on the principle of two out of three ain't bad and I am often missing a hive tool or a cover cloth or something.
    As long as you have a veil you can do most of what you planned to do albeit with a bit less organization.
    I set up two cell raisers at the association apiary at teatime and I remembered to take the dog with me but forgot a cover cloth.
    I had a veil, smoker, hive tool, lighter, and nitrile gloves.

Blog Entries

That's what I was thinking. Do tell us that you took special care to make it all look good for the camera Wraith!

With the exception of my smoker and the Tesco bag full of dry rotten wood, everything goes in the pocket of my white (ish) cotton jacket and veil. Hive tool, bit of spare newspaper, Butler cage, queen paint, sometimes the wee bottle of lemon grass oil. Discarded latex gloves accumulate for a while in the pocket. Lighter in the trouser pocket of course.

There might be a plastic box with drone fork, drawing pins, linseed oil, spare ratchet strap, and thymol tub and spare jam jar lid in the car just in case.