Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ** Bee Health Day in Aberdeen Tomorrow **

Blog Entries

I wonder if anyone managed to reach it and has any report for us?

Still think it would be worth running this course in the West as we have a new west area rep in Mike Thornley from Helensburgh who is keen to promote SBA events, Neil Sanderson from Helensburgh who is the new chair of CABA and is promoting events in the Clyde area and me from Helensburgh who has been asked by Phil Moss to be on the SBA health committee. I know a number of beekeepers went to the Edinburgh event but that is only a fraction of the potential beekeepers in the West association.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Pesticide use and abuse is certainly relevant to bee health, maybe a few percent of the agenda as opposed to 100%
    I was lucky enough to be able to attend this event.

It was very thorough on EFB and AFB, even showing live examples.

There was 0% mention of pesticides by the instructors though, which surprised me, especially as neonicotinoids make bees more susceptible to all sorts of diseases as they interfere with the grooming behaviour of the house bees.

I did have my excellent new book 'A Spring Without Bees, how Colony Collapse Disorder has Endangered Our Food Supply' by Michael Schacker with me, it raised quite a lot of interest amongst the other participants.

Blog Entries

Did they at least talk about Wifi or bats?.

No obvious attempt to steer this thread towards pesticides at all there.. Nice one.
    Last edited by Calum; 21-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Default it's never too late....

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I'm sure a few of us from Moray would have headed over except for the fact that we have one of our monthly meetings today. I'd have been keen to attend for sure.
    Never fear... there is another event scheduled to be held in Inverness on Saturday the 9th June. Contact details to attend are the same as for the Aberdeen event