Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SBA Facebook page?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    ...If they'd have asked me (like they would have!) I'd have advised they build the SBA website using something like the paid version of Wordpress which is generally speaking reasonably intuitive and pretty easy to make updates through.
    That's precisely what I did advise them to do, and I have created a really good functioning website for them. It fell apart - and it was not my fault.
    Kitta

I'm not sure I understand Kitta. Are you saying you created a website for the SBA using Wordpress, it didn't work and they chose to put in place the website they have currently? Not sure why a Wordpress site would fall apart tbh. My experience of it is that it's reliable, functional and well supported.

Luddite? Hmm well been on line since 1996. Quoted 2nd life as it is the nearest hpyed site to fb in recent times. Oh and for portals AOL was the first, and arguably worst. Anyway moving one. FB might be at the moment the greatest thing since sliced bread but... give it time. It's woes are merely beginning now that it has to face real financial scrutiny. As for being easy to use, I found it impenetrable and I mean that, as I could never get by the first page. Ok so I am thick and 58. *shrug* Yet I am building a pretty decent web site. Oddly enough using Wordpress. LOL

Whilst it is in some ways great to share with the world, sometimes for a small community it's better to keep things more in-house.

PH

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I'm not sure I understand Kitta. Are you saying you created a website for the SBA using Wordpress, it didn't work and they chose to put in place the website they have currently? Not sure why a Wordpress site would fall apart tbh. My experience of it is that it's reliable, functional and well supported.
    Sorry Drumgerry - I wasn't clear. No, the website was fine. I tried to help, and it did not work out - it's a people thing.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

I think that the two of you may share an interest!

I did briefly switch on Facebook linking for SBAi but was persuaded to switch it off again. I think that it will be back on later in the weekend, but I have a busy couple of days ahead.

We did briefly discuss behind the scenes the possibility of an SBA Facebook page but didn't really see the need for it. OK, some people might use it more than the forum, but it may split the effort going into SBAi. Great idea for local associations that want an easy way into social media.
    Last edited by gavin; 01-11-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Fair enough Gavin.

Thanks for clearing that up Kitta

We're aaaaall doooomed eh PH?!

Not doomed at all but it's just not sensible to lean overly in one direction, that in my experience leads to a capsize.

Blog Entries

We should now have Facebook integration running. You can 'Like' a thread, blog or article, post things from here on Facebook (I understand!), and become a user from your Facebook account if you wish (so I understand!). Do have a play ... and let me know if there are things that need tweaked.

OK, things need tweaked, I admit it!

I'm thinking now that to make much of this you need to buy the App which doesn't get a particularly good press from its users, so we may be stuck with what we have. Currently the 'Like' works at least. Maybe if I update the forum software to the latest version that will stop working as they try to extract as much cash as they can from vBulletin users ...
    Last edited by gavin; 01-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries

The connect button doesn't seem to do anything. Not sure if that's because I'm on a phone or I need to enter my Facebook details onto the forum login bits. If its the latter do we have the option to move the layout to make it more obvious?

Blog Entries

I hit the like button and also the connect button and now on my FB homepage it is showing up a SBA Facebook page ? - which is the title of this thread. It also gives the SBA web address under the main title. I already had the FB page open and running, then opened this thread at the same time on a different page.