Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBA Facebook page?

Blog Entries

Default SBA Facebook page?

I'm currently in a Skype discussion (and getting bored so here I am!) with a few members of the SBA Executive. The possibility of an SBA Facebook page was raised. Anyone have any views?

Would it work?

Would there be enough interest?

What if it became the target of a campaign of some kind of other?

And ... is there anyone out there who fancies taking it on?

Post your replies here, or PM me if you are feeling shy.

cheers

Gavin

Blog Entries

It might work, depends what they want to do with it. At worst it's a duplication of effort between here and the SBA website that gets ignored (see the Bbka one that they're shutting down) and gathers dust. At best it's a useful tool to get down with the kids that can complement here and the main SBA web page.

It's not enough just to have the page in my opinion you need to be clear what you want from it and put some effort into making it happen.

I did look into this a while ago so will dig up the info and make sure it's still current if you like.

Blog Entries

Facebook does seem to be the way everyone is going these days to raise their profile.

Blog Entries

Bear in mind the single issue trolls who will post on it.

http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11239

Blog Entries

I think that is a case in point of why it needs to be taken seriously; rather than what seemed to be the case where they put someone with no authority to do anything or say anything in charge of it and gave them no support afterwards. I think the BBKA live in some slightly alternate reality and they're always completely taken aback when whatever it is they expected to happen actually meets with the real world.

I'm always slightly reminded of:

[edit] Before someone says it, no I'm not comparing the BBKA to the SS, just the bemused "we're the bad guys?" look whenever reality clashes with their perceptions of what should happen.
    Last edited by Neils; 17-05-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

I like the way that the Glasgow bee keepers face book page is used- not that I've looked at it much as most of my time is spent on here..

There is always a delete button if certain individuals try to use the face book page in a way it's not intended to be. I think it would help fill a gap between this forum and the SBA website for the general public where the forum isn't what they're looking for and the website isn't interactive. It gives them an opportunity to ask the odd question, view other people's queries and the replies would be at a level for them to understand. The forum would probably go over the heads of non bee keepers and won't cover things that they're interested in.

The SBA face book page could also show the LA's affiliated with it (that have face book ) on it too which would assist in guiding people to an association in their local area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    I like the way that the Glasgow bee keepers face book page is used- not that I've looked at it much as most of my time is spent on here..
    Poster of the week! (For now) Good points though.

Blog Entries

Emse makes some good points, especially around local associations some of whom have already realised that Facebook can provide a cheap and easily maintainable web presence. There are plenty of good, informative websites around beekeeping techniques which means that a local association site need only concern itself with basically saying "here we are" and "here's what we're up to", Facebook is at least very good for doing just that.

For many people Facebook and maybe google are the Internet. Those who've been online for a while might remember when portals were going to be the next big thing, Facebook in my opinion has delivered that concept that you'd log on to one place and " consume" the content that you want without ever leaving the walled garden of the portal.
    Last edited by Neils; 17-05-2012 at 11:28 PM.

As the creator and admin for Moray Beekeepers facebook page I can say that it's definitely a thing worth doing. It's another way to communicate directly and instantly with people and if you ask me the SBA needs a fair bit more of that. It's a good way to pull in people who are on the margins of beekeeping - non-beekeepers or people who are swithering. Plus it targets a younger demographic and again beekeeping needs to do as much of that as it can imho.

It won't replace the website or the SBAI site but it will be a complement to them. It's just a shame we don't have a share function on the forum as we could be disseminating discussions on here to a wider audience via facebook.

Gerry

Blog Entries

I believe the functions are in the current software version.