Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SBA Facebook page?

If they are we should be able to use them. Or do we want to keep all of our nefarious plotting discussions away from the wider world?!

Oh and another good thing about facebook which probably everyone knows already is the aspect of the Newsfeed which feeds in status updates from things you choose to like. So for example if SBA likes Moray Beekeepers and we like SBA back we can get all of each other's status updates on our newsfeed. A wide ranging, fast changing and eclectic mix of content results!

Blog Entries

I will have a look and see what we can do on this particular version of vBulletin and confer with the lord and master

Thanks to Gavin for starting this thread and discussion. The suggestion came, as Gavin said, from an SBA ICT Committee meeting, although it is a suggestion that has previously been raised by a number of people on different occasions over the past year. The views and opinions that have been expresed here in the Forum are very helpful and interesting in trying to come to a conclusion on this question. However does the fact that only a handful of forum members chose to get involved in the discussion reflect in any way the level of enthusiasm for a Facebook page? Or just the number of people who wanted to comment on it? I don't know the answer to that!

There are plus and mminus points to having a SBA FAcebook page. The risk of takeover by a maverick is perhaps the most negative concern. However if it is something dynamic that would appeal to younger beekeepers then perhaps it is something we should do. In the absence however of anyone able and willing to take on the role of looking after it, nothing will happen.

Are there any more Forum members out there who would like to comment on this before I take these thoughts back to the SBA?

Thanks to all of you who have taken time so far to read and contribute to this one.

Blog Entries

Personally I would not use a Facebook page + the SBAI + the general SBA website. I like the forum and it can be used as easily if not even more efficiently than Facebook via the Tapatalk App on iPhones & Blackberry (possibly on Android too).

However, it may be a good way of encouraging new members and spreading factual information on Bee Keeping and dispels some myths.
    Last edited by HJBee; 04-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apiarist View Post
    Thanks to Gavin for starting this thread and discussion. The suggestion came, as Gavin said, from an SBA ICT Committee meeting, although it is a suggestion that has previously been raised by a number of people on different occasions over the past year. The views and opinions that have been expresed here in the Forum are very helpful and interesting in trying to come to a conclusion on this question. However does the fact that only a handful of forum members chose to get involved in the discussion reflect in any way the level of enthusiasm for a Facebook page? Or just the number of people who wanted to comment on it? I don't know the answer to that!
    I think it's a reflection on a number of things, not least the demographic of beekeepers generally (we're old!). A forum and a website still has a number of distinct advantages over Facebook, but Facebook can add another dimension to that presence.

I personally think that there is a place for a Scottish Beekeepers Facebook presence, but with that comes a need for involvement. You can't do what another organisation did and expect it to work, it's an interactive medium. You'll get both positive and negative interactions as a result and whoever the person or peoples are who help run that page are they need some authority to speak on behalf of the association. especially, as you mention, in the event of "trouble makers" coming to pay a visit.

My central point remains that before the SBA leap into setting things up or making radical changes to its web presence "because everyone else is" it should talk to and, as you are doing which is encouraging to see, engage with the existing communities that already exist and discuss internally off the back of that what it is that you want. The guys running the Scottish Beekeeper should also be a part of this in my opinion, it is an important part of how the SBA communicates with its membership and beyond. None of this happens because it's here, there's hard work involved, not just from the administrative team but from the "rank and file" members who make this community what it is.

I'm not a great fan of Facebook, but I equally don't think that it can be ignored and that it can also be a useful (and cheap) means to put the SBA word out there further IF the right support is put behind it and I'd be interested in being involved in it if the commitment is there from the SBA itself.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

As a committed Facebook user I am all in favour but I think despite it I would be back more often to this forum which I think is excellent. However Facebook would be more of a promotional tool and bring more people into the forum. I am a FB friend of both Mull and Moray beekeeper's and do watch what they are up to. However to really make Facebook work you have to have a good supply of info, pics, friends who will post regularly etc. if its not kept up to date people won't join in. This might be a problem in the quieter winter months. You have to work at it.

Blog Entries

'[QUOTE=Nellie;11298]I think it's a reflection on a number of things, not least the demographic of beekeepers generally (we're old!). '

Speak for yourself ;0)

Did anything come about in regards to this discussion that took place.

Ive recently started to get involved in beekeeping and think it would be great for a FB page for the association.

As someone who uses FB every day for other activities i would be interested in being involved in getting something going on FB.

So what was the outcome of all the chat?

Dave

My two pence worth.

I will be honest and say I am not a FB fan. I had a page for my business and it achieved nothing so deleted it. I f ind FB very difficult to use and so being a KISS person do not use it. Simples.

Before anyone gets all carried away about the current fad... anyone remember 2nd life? Look what happened there. Paltalk was all the rage for a while to. UK groups on there now, number zero. And so it goes, these things come and go.

A website costs £6 to buy the domain, and I can point you to a person who for £100 will create your site for you. He just did one for my business. And did the beesite one for me too.

By all means go the Facebook route but dinna be at all surprised if it dies on you.

PH