Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moray Beekeepers Association

Default Moray Beekeepers Association

Hi Guys, In Moray we have started an Association Apiary and we plan to hold courses/training events this season. Although we have always had a busy summer programme we have never thought about insurance until now. Other Associations run courses and the like but have any obtained insurance in case of injury to visitors, members or volunteers? Any advice would be welcome.

Blog Entries

Last year I ran a bee event at a local estate and obtained from Charlie Irwin a copy of the insurance scheme run by the SBA. I think that it covers local association meetings too, but I'll look it out later and let you know.

Hey thanks Gavin, that would be great!

Blog Entries

Can't find it, of course, but the SBA does have Public and Product Liability Insurance with Royal Sun Alliance which I'm pretty sure covers meetings run by SBA members. I'll PM you contact details.

G.

Blog Entries

Bookmarking this discussion as I need to know about insurance for assoc apiaries too!

Guys, Got some info off Gavin. As soon as I have an answer on this I will ;post it here. cheers.

Congratulations to Tony and everyone who came along to help with the MBA apiary yesterday. It is a superb project and something that I'll do everything I can to help. And brilliant that we now have a Scottish forum as well!!

Blog Entries

Getting back to the topic of insurance:

The Insurance leaflet from the SBA mentions 'Beginners Classes' (sic), which are insured as long as certain conditions are met.
    These are:
    1) up tp 10 students in class
    2) full protective clothing must be worn
    3) the instructor is to be a suitably competent beekeeper and SBA member
    4) a first aider is present
    5) it is advisable to have a mobile phone on site

My questions are:
    What's the definition of a 'Beginners Class', is any meeting which includes beginners a 'Beginners Class'?
    Does the First Aider have to have a certificate, and if so, what are the specifications?

Would be grateful for some clarification,
    Doris

Blog Entries

Thanks Doris. I still haven't found my leaflet.

I understand that Charlie (our insurance guy) and colleagues are planning to re-draft the leaflet, so your questions are timely.

I've pointed Charlie to this thread and hope that he'll either answer here, or answer privately to one of us.

best wishes

Gavin

Blog Entries

Default Charlie's reply - email to me

Dear Gavin
    ref questions on your forum.

Beginners class :- a group of persons ,who have not previously been next to an open hive, taken into an apiary for instruction on how to manipulate an occupied hive.

First aider :- not necessarily certificated but with up to date knowlege of how to treat a person in shock until professional help arrives

These details may change as the cover is renewed on 1st May each year.

I hope this helps the enquirers. I am not competent enough to answer them via your forum.

Regards
    Charlie.