Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must-read book: 'A Spring Without Bees'

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Must-read book: 'A Spring Without Bees'

'A Spring Without Bees, How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply' by Michael Schacker, available from places like Amazon for under £5.

This book is well written and easy to understand, it explains, how not only our bees but also our food supply have been threatened since the introduction of neonicotinoid pesticides.

I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-witho...7265924&sr=1-1

That's fine Doris, recommend it if you like, but I moved the thread to the area more appropriate for discussions on agrochemicals since you imply that is what this book is about. G.
    Last edited by gavin; 17-05-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    That's fine Doris, recommend it if you like, but I moved the thread to the area more appropriate for discussions on agrochemicals since you imply that is what this book is about. G.
    Yes, I know, you want it at the bottom of the forum where most readers won't find it.

That's despite this book's excellent credentials:

Michael Schacker was honored with the “Cultural Achievement Award 2010″ from The Artists’ and Humans’ Project for his book
    http://planbeecentral.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

No, it isn't that I or anyone else don't want people to find it. It is that this is a topic that can lead to heated and repetitive debate which puts some people off using the forum. This area was set up for these discussions, this is where it belongs, and everyone can see that there was a new post in this area. Those who don't like the hostile atmosphere generated by these posts can get on and happily use the rest of the forum in peace.

Your posts of late have all been similar - banging a pesticide drum, challenging people, declaring that the folk trying to keep this place on an even keel have surruptitious motives of one kind or another. Little piece of advice: the more you do this, the more people will reject what you say. Go back and check out Calum's diagram on how, and how not, to conduct a discussion.

Blog Entries

I recently bought a copy of the above book and read it cover to cover in one sitting - it is a stunning tour de force. It covers the French bee collapse from 1994-2003 in great detail and includes synopses of all the major science papers which influenced the French to ban imidacloprid in 2000.

This is the introduction by Borderbeeman in his reccommendation of the book on the biobees forum, which, I believe inspired your post here Doris. If I am correct, you have not read the book.
    I suggest that before reccommending it yourself, on this forum,, you also read "Abeilles, l’imposture écologique" by Gil Rivière-Wekstein which also discusses the scientific papers, as well as the political manoevering that led to the ban, but comes to a totally different conclusion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Yes, I know, you want it at the bottom of the forum where most readers won't find it.
    hint, New posts. I use it a lot, it does exactly what it says on the tin and shows you every thread on the forums that have had new posts, no matter how hard we try to hide them, since your last visit. It is right up there under the "home" button on the forum layout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    If I am correct, you have not read the book.
    You obviously don't know me and are making the wrong assumptions. My book arrived 2 days ago and I have read those sections which interested me most, the rest I skimmed over and it's very much along the other information I found out, but which is being suppressed on this forum.

I will read the French document too, when I have the time to do it, and assess it for its value.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    hint, New posts. I use it a lot, it does exactly what it says on the tin and shows you every thread on the forums that have had new posts, no matter how hard we try to hide them, since your last visit.
    I use it all the time, even when I'm not loggedin.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up A Spring without Bees

To those who haven't got this book yet I recommend watching this brief introduction by the author, Michael Schacker:

Blog Entries

So watched the video twice. The bee deaths in France were caused by poorly coated seed that was pneumatically sown. If he really did research the deaths he knows that. Um, so where is the news (Germany had the same problem, and banned the badly coated seed)?
    Varroa, over working bees in the usa, the chemical cocktails US bees are subjected to, no mention of any of that.
    CCD is a US problem.
    Also world hunger would not break out if the bees all died - fruit would get expensive though, + would create plenty of jobs.
    Most staples such as wheat don't rely on bees, not even a wee bit.
    So for a guy that has done some research a fairly biased plug there. Or does he go into other contributers to CCD in the book?
    Bee friendly gardens all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    Also world hunger would not break out if the bees all died - fruit would get expensive though, + would create plenty of jobs.
    More low paid jobs for the masses so that the wealthy can eat fruit?
    Last edited by prakel; 23-06-2012 at 08:16 AM.