Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foundationless frames and fishing line

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    My experience is that I've gone back to wire, as I've had the fishing line chewed through too often, and left floating in the frame as if trying to catch a bee.Wire always holds out.
    I'll give both wire and nylon a try
    May be the braid type will be more acceptable and tougher like Berkley Fireline
    I didn't think of wire really because they don't lay on the frame wires I assumed they would not like it
    Never assume it makes an Ass of U and me as they say

I've yet to try it out. Do you use eyelets to strengthen the holes?

Blog Entries

No need.

I take a batch of frames and drill a single side bar as a template.
    use this to drill a batch of side bars by lining up the template and drilling 2 or 3 at a time through the 2 holes.
    That way you get the line horizontal.
    Last edited by Jon; 05-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Is there a trick to getting the fishing line tight enough? You can crimp wire, but mono is slippery stuff. Does Rosie give any details in the original article?

Blog Entries

Just pull it tight and wrap it around the drawing pin about three times before pushing the pin tight into the side bar.
    It should not loosen.
    I just found a lovely box of a dozen fishing line drone combs in the shed earlier this evening which will be heading to the apiary shortly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    An Italian colony would give plenty bees for you mating nucs if you kept it elsewhere

I dug up this thread because I have a few super frames being drawn out between previously drawn comb
    I like the simplicity but extracting will be no fun
    I notice the bees are more inclined to get on with it working both sides at once and extending downward
    When working foundation they can't get to both sides at the same time does this deter them a little ?

"Finman with his Italians. "
    try not to mention that idiot in case he shows up
    I don't have that much of a problem using plain frames in the supers and then into the extractor. In many respects it simplifies that side of the management, if comb looks a bit manky after extraction I just cut it out and chuck it in the wax/mead bucket. If I don't think it will survive extraction, which is maybe 10-15% of the total frames then it goes in the crush and strain bucket or gets used for cut comb.

Every hive gets a super of comb first and then gets empty frames if there's no more comb left, this year, I've not got close to running out of comb to give them but I do always chuck in a few empty frames to keep the levels up and to give the bees something to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Is there a trick to getting the fishing line tight enough? You can crimp wire, but mono is slippery stuff. Does Rosie give any details in the original article?
    Where is the old codger anyway? Puts me in mind of a song. At least bumble bees get a mention in this one.

Blog Entries

Well as a Belfast resident I would have to go for this one.

Blog Entries

Speaking of Ireland here's one by your favourite Irish potato. I wouldn't bother clicking it, its dire.

Surely the warmth of the call is getting through now and we'll see him back soon?

Blog Entries

Maybe this one is clickable?

OK, I feel bad. Sorry. You can get back to discussing fishing line now if you like.