Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foundationless frames and fishing line

Blog Entries

I've got one colony that's too big for the 14x12 and I think that is one justified criticism of them. If you're in an area that does have prolific bees then it might not be enough of a solution and going to double brood 14x12, while possible is effectively the same as going triple National and I don't know many people who've got bees that need that much space.

Blog Entries

Finman with his Italians.

So far I have two (WBC) colonies on 14 x 12's. One has migrated up from an 8 frame 14 x 12 which I overwintered - it now has an italian type queen in it as the overwintered queen didn't do much last year and died over the winter. From the 14 x 12 I've had running for 3 years, I've never had much honey out of the hive, despite often having 8 good frames of brood in it. A lot of bees and 1 supers worth is not much of a result. Maybe the italian queen will get results this year?
    The frames are heavy when full of capped stores. And if you drop them an inch or two they break at the weak point!
    Rosie, it's interesting what you say about 14 x 12's being too big now you've moved to Wales - I assume you have similar bees to before ?

I took my bees with me.

Rosie

Blog Entries

I've never had much honey out of the hive
    Some bees just make more bees.
    I know an AMM enthusiast who keeps several colonies of yellowish bees for making up nucs which are then requeened with AMM queens.

Have you tried the bigger frames with fishing line instead of wired foundation?

An Italian colony would give plenty bees for you mating nucs if you kept it elsewhere

I dug up this thread because I have a few super frames being drawn out between previously drawn comb
    I like the simplicity but extracting will be no fun
    I notice the bees are more inclined to get on with it working both sides at once and extending downward
    When working foundation they can't get to both sides at the same time does this deter them a little ?

"Finman with his Italians. "
    try not to mention that idiot in case he shows up
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 04-06-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    try not to mention that idiot in case he shows up
    Gets my vote for post of the year.

DR, extraction shouldn't be any problem at all if your frames are wired. One advantage I've always noticed is that the bees make larger cells for stocking honey.
    Perhaps having worker size foundation also complicates things for them

Thanks Chris
    There is nothing there for support at the moment but I'll try the fishing line trick see how that goes

Blog Entries

My experience is that I've gone back to wire, as I've had the fishing line chewed through too often, and left floating in the frame as if trying to catch a bee.Wire always holds out.

Blog Entries

I am very happy with the fishing line. No problems so far after 2 seasons of use.
    I have been putting drone comb into all my colonies and that is stuff they have drawn themselves which goes into storage over winter.