Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Foundationless frames and fishing line

Blog Entries

The characteristic line of empty brood cells is always along the line of the wire foundation. This effect disapears after the first round of brood rearing which makes me think that it is that the bees have had time to polish/ fill in the bottoms of the cells where the wire might be protruding. You also only see this on the side of the wax sheet that has been embedded (given that the wire has not penetrated right throught the mid rib) . Thats my theory of what is likely to be happenning - then again I may be wrong

Blog Entries

Oh, heater cells - not sure about this, a strong laying queen will lay in new comb before the cells are finished so each young cell will be the same regardless of the shape of the bottom of the cell even though the top of the cell is not finished and can be thicker. The shorter cell length supports the notion that the queen senses that the cell containing the wire at the bottom is faulty so she avoids laying an egg in it. This gives the wire line effect as the brood is later capped

Blog Entries

I don't think Tautz has convinced too many people about that heater bee theory.

Blog Entries

I reckon its rubbish, maybe something that one of those sensitive temp recording devices and high res video can solve

I use fishing line as I don't want the ley lines to be disturbed … surprised no-one has twigged to this 15kg, but thick rubbish quality stuff I bought remaindered somewhere at 50p for 200m. I've also got no wire, which restricted my choice a bit.
    Last edited by fatshark; 28-04-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelin'

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I don't think Tautz has convinced too many people about that heater bee theory.
    Have you read his book jon ?

Blog Entries

I have a signed copy!
    He spoke in NI a few years ago and unfortunately I missed his presentation but a friend got me a copy of the book.