Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2012: Module 6

Blog Entries

Indeed. If I don't pass it I will do just to see if the feedback confirms my suspicions of what I didn't cover in enough detail. I know two of the section B questions i didn't do that well in and was casting the net for marks to some extent. I only skipped the graph around colony makeup because I messed up the graph and only had black pens on me so couldn't clearly correct it. That said, when I considered that one I wasn't sure how I'd get 15 marks out if it.

quote : Well I think that's why it was a badly phrased question. I've no idea if they wanted my answer or yours
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All though I did not set this paper, I have been involved in the past in the setting/marking of module papers.
    Section B questions are structured to elicit a set series of facts in your answers in note form but section C questions are designed to be more open ended and phrased in a less specific way to encourage you to produce an extended piece of writing ie an essay rather than simply regurgitating rote memory stuff. It is up to the candidate to select the subtopics and the order in which they wish to present them , backing any discussions, arguments or deliberations with facts. It is all about communication of ideas and facts in a logical order The marking scheme will take into account different interpretations of the questions by the candidates.

Having taken a few of these modules now I am of the opinion that 1.5 hours is not long enough.
    2 hours would give a more comprehensive test and perhaps allow those of us with arthritic fingers a little respite.

Blog Entries

Default 2012: Module 6

Masterbk, thanks for the insight, I think that gives a bit more confidence that whatever approach people took wouldn't necessarily be regarded as "wrong". Even so I still feel that for for the topic it was a vaguely worded question given the range of interpretations people have about what was wanted.

As for the time, 1.5 hours seemed fine for modules 1 and 2 but I'd have been happier with 2 hours for this one

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I can't remember the wording of the questions or what sections or numbers they were - but like you (Nellie and the others) I do remember feeling confused by the wording of the foraging question.

The length of time is fine, I think. What did bother me was that there was nowhere to make personal notes. I need a place to make notes so that I can structure my thoughts. Just launching into an answer meant I probably waffled a lot, forgot things, and might have been even more incoherent than usual.

The other thing that bothered me was that I had great difficulty in finding the examination house and so arrived ten minutes late. By that time I was in a flap and really anxious. I wasn't the only one who had this problem. A map supplied beforehand would have helped.

Kitta
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 24-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.

You can use as much paper as you wish - you just have to hand it in at the end. I wrote my notes on a page then put a line through it and stated at the beginning that they were rough notes, not to be included in the exam answer.

Thanks EB - will do that next time.
    Kitta

I'm planning to take Mod. 6 in March.
    Looking through past papers I see there is nearly always a major question re. swarming, usually a 30 pointer.
    I have all of the recommended books, but nearly all major on communication, dance, foraging etc.
    Which one did you find most useful to give the required knowledge on swarming?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    ... Which one did you find most useful to give the required knowledge on swarming?
    I don't know about the 'most useful' book, but I think Thomas Sealey's 'Honeybee Democracy' is worth looking at. I couldn't read the entire book in time for the exam, but I read some sections which I thought were helpful and very interesting.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Jurgen Tautz's 'buzz about bees' also has some interesting ideas about swarming. I personally like to cast my net far and wide, so to speak, but I think pretty much anything you can find by Seeley on swarming is worth a look.