Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012: Module 6

Blog Entries

Default 2012: Module 6

Well then it's waiting time.

I don't think it was too bad but I am now panicking that the vagueness of the wording around the section C question on foraging behaviour meant that I spent too much time detailing things they weren't actually looking for.

Q16 was a real invite to discuss anything you know about foraging. I was enjoying myself so much rabbiting on about waggle dances and dance floors, that I didn't leave enough time to write about the uses of pollen. Duh - schoolboy error. I even had written a timeplan to make sure I started the long question in time! It's so tempting to do section ABC in order; next time I should consider doing C before B. Really cross with myself.

Blog Entries

Thada,

Sounds like we interpreted that question the same way. Part b around pollen I did wonder about where some of the marks will come from but it sounds like we took a similar opinion around the requirements of part A. I'm just worried that I wrote three sides of A4 about something other than what they were asking

Where it said dont include pollen packing - how many took that to mean packing into/onto corbicula and how many took it to mean packing into cell? And which interpretation was correct do you think?

Blog Entries

I took it to mean the corbicula and interpreted the question hence to be about the behaviour around foraging rather than the behaviour of a bee on an individual plant so covered everything from forager recruitment to returning to the hive. So I'm hoping my interpretation was the right one, otherwise I've failed

I presumed that it meant the actions of one forager from leaving hive to returning and dropping load. Just didn't cover the action of a. n. other bee packing it into cell.
    Rather ambiguous question.

Blog Entries

On the plus side I think most people interpreted it to mean that but a few people took a slightly different slant on what they're asking.

I covered from forager recruitment, bits about the dancefloor, bee dances and flight to the forage, not much about the nuts and bolts if actually collecting pollen and/or nectar but a fair bit about pheromone marking if flowers but started to run out of time so probably didn't go into enough detail around what happens when a nectar loaded forager returns to the hive other than stating pollen carriers unload themselves and nectar carriers are unloaded by house bees.

That's me screwed - I only covered from leaving hive - navigation etc. didn't mention recruitment and dancing.

Blog Entries

Well I think that's why it was a badly phrased question. I've no idea if they wanted my answer or yours and you're certainly not the only one who interpreted the question that way and I was not as indepth in my essay around the areas that you covered as a result. We'll find out in a couple of weeks I guess.

well, if we don't get what we want, then it would be fun to get the examiner's feedback (like Emily Heath did) and post all the information - hopefully just in time for a re-sit in March 2013!