Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012: Module 6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default 2012: Module 6

Soo, anyone else contemplating Module 6 (Honey Bee Behaviour) in the autumn?

And in time honoured forum fashion, anyone particularly recommend any books/resources in particular in preparing for this one?

Blog Entries

Here's a link to the syllabus at least:

module 6 syllabus

I had a vague notion that this one might be reasonably straightforward but reading through that it's clear there's a lot of stuff I simply don't know at the moment.

If anyone else is considering taking it do you fancy turning this into a discussion to work through the syllabus? Share what we think we know, link some further reading, that kind of thing?

[edit] Just a note for anyone wandering by from south of the border, I believe all of the National Associations (SBA, WBKA BBKA) use the same syllabus.
    Last edited by Neils; 13-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Sorry mate I'm about a year off trying for mod 6 if things go to plan. Aiming for Mod 3 in November. Surely someone else on the forum is giving 6 a go?

Blog Entries

Get your revision in early

Start one for module 3, go on

I might do it anyway on the basis that even those not doing the modules might fancy chipping in.

Blog Entries

fairly broad article on mating lots of references to what it's citing though which might come in handy.

Less about behaviour directly and not for the faint of heart: http://www.genetics.org/content/91/3/609.full.pdf. That's what you get when you search for a concise definition of self-incompatibility in honeybees, seems to be a term more in use for plants, but there you go. As a side benefit I'm learning at lot about pollination as well

Evolution of multiple mating behaviour by honey bee quuens. Again, probably more useful for when you want to punish your brain, but also has some useful information on swarming.

Basic worker policing overview

Worker policing persists in a hopelessly queenless honey bee colony

Worker reproduction and worker policing
    Last edited by Neils; 13-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.

I might just do that once the level of beekeeping hecticness slows down a bit for me! I started studying for Mods 1 and 2 in January so by that reckoning I could get away with starting work for 3 in August sometime. I'd like to take it all at my leisure and study slowly over a longer period of time so I might take the odd casual look at the materials between now and then.

Blog Entries

No excuse after a season of IPM refinement, finish you end of season treatments and into the exam

Blog Entries

slides about pheromones, fairly high level but also covers queen, worker and brood pheromones.

primer effects of a brood pheromone on honeybee behavioural development not actually read this one yet.
    Last edited by Neils; 13-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Nellie, you've put up some great links in this thread (even for someone who's not doing exams) -got to admit this is the first time that I've actually bothered to read through the posts, glad I did now! Thanks.

Blog Entries

Glad you're finding them useful, I just throwing terms based on the syllabus into google and seeing what sticks at the moment. If I find them interesting or think they might come in handy then I'm linking them into here, after that I'll try and sort this thread out a bit better in terms of organisation.

In truth I think some of these studies, especially the ones with the scary maths might be more useful as background information as they perhaps look a bit deeper than might be expected for the modules.

Wanting to sit the exam itself is no pre-requisite for taking part in thread, so if youre finding it useful or want to link to something please feel free to chip in.

I'm going all out to aim for a distinction on this paper, I let myself down on module 3 by scraping a pass so no apologies for linking to the scary maths