Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Discussion on Foulbrood

Blog Entries

Beside as in nearby rather than as well as. Steve that's you outed as a grammar pedant! Mind you there are a few of us here.
    Cross your fingers as Megan Seymour will be inspecting some of my colonies on 26th May as part of a whistlestop tour of NI.

Fera's advice is to shook swarm a colony with EFB. I've heard it said that starving a swarm for two or three days, then shook swarming it onto new ,will make sure the new combs are disease free. I don't know anybody who's done it though, my main concern would be that they would abscond

"Fera's advice is to shook swarm a colony with EFB."

While bumble makes a good point I would like to clarify the fact that it's illegal to do anything once foulbrood is found except inform the NBU and impose your own standing order on your apiary. I'm sure Bumble realises this but I fear his post could be misunderstood by a beginner.

The bee inspector might decide to carry out a shook swarm but the choice is in his/her hands, unless the rules are different in Scotland.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Perhaps I could inteject here that in Scotland we are under an obligation to get in touch with our own bee health regulatory people, aka Steve.

BeesMailbox@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

or your local RPID office

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/fa...tacts/contacts

Yes, the law is the same. Suspect foulbrood and you have to get in touch.

Is that twice now you've misidentified the gender of a valued poster?! You are worse than Eric .
    Last edited by gavin; 12-05-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Oops - sorry! I'll have to try to avoid words like his/her/him/hers they just get me into trouble.

Rosie (a him)

What sex is Eric, by the way

Blog Entries

I wouldn't wish to pigeon-hole him ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    I would like to clarify the fact that it's illegal to do anything once foulbrood is found except inform the NBU and impose your own standing order on your apiary. I'm sure Bumble realises this but I fear his post could be misunderstood by a beginner.

The bee inspector might decide to carry out a shook swarm but the choice is in his/her hands, unless the rules are different in Scotland.
    Good point.

The UK Foulbrood disease legislation is covered on the Fera (Beebase) FAQ page https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/faq.cfm

It might be worth mentioning that it's a good idea to register with Fera/Beebase to be sure of receiving seasonal updates from inspectors (advisors) as well as warnings of local disease outbreaks. Our local Regional Bee Inspector is very approachable, and extremely helpful.

As for gender issues - without hints or pictures, how would anybody know? This is the internet, after all.

Blog Entries

England and Wales I suspect. The Scottish pages (inc links to the Scottish legislation) are here:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/fa...al-welfare/bee

Have I been doing too much gender-outing?!

PS Bumble is actually a burly Stonehaven professional shot-putter who lives with his artist lover in a garret somewhere in southern England .... .... mibbae.
    Last edited by gavin; 14-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Fera's advice is to shook swarm a colony with EFB. I've heard it said that starving a swarm for two or three days, then shook swarming it onto new ,will make sure the new combs are disease free. I don't know anybody who's done it though, my main concern would be that they would abscond
    I've been away and so am coming in late to this thread!
    There was a paper presented at the Dublin Apimondia which tested mhaking the swarm into clean (i.e new) brood boxes with drawn foundation, and then after a period ( I think it was a week) semoving the bees into a second clean (i.e New) brood box with new frames and foundation. In the majority of cases the colonies did not show clinical signs of AFB after this treatment. However tow of the colonies showed AFB the next year.
    When I had my last outbreak some years ago, I performed this procedure on all the colonies which did not show any signs of AFB, I also burned all the colonies with clinical signs and all the super frames from that apiary. I had a recurrence of AFB the next year and had to destroy a firther two colonies.
    It has been stated often enough that treating in this manner is selecting the most virulent strains of AFB!

Blog Entries

Killing the colonies/burning or by changing the colony out repeatedly onto new foundation?