Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk bee suits.

Hi Fatshark, When I operated in Warwickshire I used to find Warwickshire bees well mannered - not hoodlums. Very good foragers as well. Must have gone downhill since my departure to Scotland.

Blog Entries

I bought the round hat veil & jacket in the Thornes sale earlier in the year after the veil on my old suit got to the point that I couldn't fix it any more. I really like that it has a zip up pocket on it for my keys (or whatever else I want to put in it ) and I can be sure they won't fall out into the hive whilst inspecting it. On the down side the hat isn't that comfortable but at least it stays in one place- away from my face.

EmSe has that hat on the Thornes one got a double layer of material to protect your head ?
    does it cope well if there is a breeze ?
    The last round one I had was inclined to blow off my head and sail off down wind as far as the mesh would allow
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 07-11-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm sold on my "astronaut" smocks despite my washing machine accident (see a few pages ago). I'm not convinced the micro fibre makes much difference in the height of summer and is a little unpleasant on bare skin when you get sweaty but the standard fabric is pretty good. The velcro has worn well and it stays in place around the wrists without resorting to those little loops of elastic.

Blog Entries

Hi
    I can recommend this jacket from poland very practical, and a velcro lapel tp stop your mobile phone falling out very practical. Cheap too, the guy will deliver to the UK.
    dont touch the gloves though - they are useless, though I hardly ever put and on..

Looks like it is German to me.

Blog Entries

yes it is german, the guy imports all his gear from poland or china just like most of the rest do these days...
    Some of his products are excellent, some of the stuff from china is not so good.

He has a patent on processing beeswax to foundation that kills the EFB & AFB and whatever other spores are present.
    I got him to make 80kg of wax to foundation for 3€/KG.. Nice price.
    Last edited by Calum; 03-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.

I also find a full suit very hot, but I discovered a ventilated bee suit last year made by Bee Proof Suits. Worth a look if you tend to overheat. It a has extra supports in the hood to stop it losing shape or blowing back into your face.

http://www.mannlake.co.uk/beekeeping...ct/VS-310.html

Bought one in the sale for £100
    It feels a bit heavier until you put it on
    You are cool and it is and totally bee proof
    The hood is really good well supported and double layer
    I would buy another one

I know they're not the most flattering garments, but all the same ... his head appears freakishly large, almost 2/3rd the length of his legs.