Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk bee suits.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

I banned wire coathangers years ago. You must send your clothes to the dry cleaners then!

Blog Entries

I've not tried the suits themselves out yet, but I do have to mention Bee Basics for their customer service.

Last Saturday I started to wonder why there were so many bees inside my suit. The zips on my suit were broken so I ordered a cotton and micro fibre suit from bee basics and a refractometer. When nothing had turned up on friday I rang them up. They knew what my order was and explained the refractometer hand't come in yet. I explained that I needed the suits and please could they at least send me one suit.

This morning both suits turned up, delivered special delivery.

I've not tried them with bees yet, but I look forward to giving them a write up. In my living room they seem more than fine and by far the best suits I've had to date. The micro fibre suit I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use on hives I think will sting me, it's like a light waterproof, but i think they're great suits from what I've seen of them so far.

As a company, massive thumbs up for customer service.

Blog Entries

Late update. The Bee basics suits are great but don't put the hoods thought the washing machine. The suits are brilliant, but i couldnt get the hood off so stuck it in the washing machine; big mistake, holes and tears all over the place.

Nellie

The Bee Baisc hoods usually come off easily. People often don't realise that there is only one zip and both sliders come off the same end as in the case of some coats that open from the bottom as well as the top.

In fact most European bee suits seem to work the same way.

Steve

Blog Entries

Believe me I tried to take it off. You'd think a zip would be relatively easy to work out . After 10 minutes I gave up and shoved the lot in the washing machine. Won't be doing that again ruined a perfectly good suit.

I wash my bee suit by hand: perfectly good job with 30 mins soak in bio powder.. And I'm a man who are supposed to be incapable of doing washing properly...:-)

I use BB wear and find them very good. Their service is excellent and they will make any alterations ypurequire.

Another satisfied BBwear customer here. I have a couple of the full suits and a jacket. The latter is great for quick jobs but bees can sneak under the waist elastic if you're not careful. My oldest full suit is starting to look tatty and will need replacement thumb loops this winter and a hanging loop (not included in the original) added. I'd go for the jacket rather than the smock for real ease of getting on and off. I wash them in the machine after remove the veil and tucking it inside the zipped up suit.

For really bad colonies I wear the jacket - sans veil - under the full suit. Hot as hell, but totally impervious.

Got a new smock for last Christmas, back to the tatty old jacket, they're not very handy.

It's a long way off but in summer will you be baking in a a bee suit
    How about one of these
    http://ultrabreezesuits.com/suit/order_2011.htm
    ultraBreeze_suit1.jpg