Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk bee suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Roland, nowt wrong with "lurking", to use forum parlance, but always nice to see a new face.
    Thanks for the welcome.

My first suit from Maisemore I've ended up hating, aside from the holes in the mesh, the fencing "supports" also quickly deformed after a few goes in the washing machine making it very difficult to keep the veil off my face.
    Funnily enough, one of the best 'veils' which I ever owned came from Maisemore about twenty years ago. It was a bright orange smock with an attatched wire veil and integral hat, in the end I lost it in a move and have not seen another like it on the market. I agree that it does make sense to keep a smock or even a hat and veil handy for those 'light' five minute jobs -as well as for when you drive off to an out apiary wearing your all in one BBwear suit and then realize that you've left the hood on the kitchen table....

Roland
    Last edited by prakel; 09-05-2012 at 02:15 PM.

I did try making my own veil using the thick netting used for ballet tutus, but my sewing skills let me down, and it was difficult to make a ring to keep it away from the face.

I have two sets of beekeeping clothing that actually get used.

I have a pull-on jacket and veil that I wear with poly cotton overtrousers, complete with mosquito repellent, like these but cheaper http://www.millets.co.uk/product/033...-trousers.html

The other is a cheap, thin, oversize, zip-up boiler suit, with a hat and Swienty wire mesh veil http://www.swienty.com/shop/default.asp?catid=1115 I prefer this veil to the fabric one on the jacket, it seems easier to see through and doesn't get pushed out of shape in storage. I also like to be able to take it off and carry it separately rather than having the hat/veil bit hanging down my back.

Blog Entries

I seem to be going through suits every other year at the moment.
    Now, if you took to top bar hives and non intervention...........

I have an integral *fencing* suit at the moment. I've had it 6 years. It cost 85 euros and it's still fine. The make is Combiz-don't know if you can get them over there. The knees are padded. The polycoton is thick.The wrists have velcro for tightening.The bottoms of the legs have long zips so it's easy to slip on over boots.The hood is detatchable by zip and the mesh very strong.There is a velcro that pulls the hood forward off the face, and though the back is pushed against the back of the head, there is extra padding there so no stings get through.There are all sorts and shapes of pockets.
    I've never been stung through it, and the few minutes it takes to put it on is all part of the visit.
    It's the perfect wooz suit so suits me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Funnily enough, one of the best 'veils' which I ever owned came from Maisemore about twenty years ago. It was a bright orange smock with an attatched wire veil and integral hat, in the end I lost it in a move and have not seen another like it on the market.
    OK, so I'm repeating myself now...

But there is a reason for doing so, in one of those strange coincidences which sometimes happen I've actually stumbled on the very jacket although it no longer appears to be available in the snazzy orange which I liked so much.

Product #4031 at:

http://www.holtermann-shop.de/index.php/cPath/57_172

To me, the real selling point of this jacket is the fact that it has a wire veil and the integral hat (Dadants all in one requires that you use a seperate hard-hat; I think they're missing a trick there).

Blog Entries

And the prices are attractive too. I like the round wire hat that keeps the veil off the face, but as I've been finding out lately (having organised some beginner visits and decided to provide them with freshly laundered suits) they don't sit as comfortably in a washing machine.

I have about a dozen or more suits from various suppliers as I need to lend them out to the beginners on my beekeeping courses. I think BBwear take some beating although there are plenty of cheaper ones that are more than adequate. However, at the BBKA spring convention I invested in a ventilated jacket supplied by Maisemore. When I got it home I realised that it was grubby around the cuffs and had 2 small holes in the veil but notwithstanding that I have tried it a couple of times and it seems to be performing well, apart from being surprisingly heavy considering it's mostly holes. I am waiting for global warming to kick in now to see if it's any cooler than a standard suit.

In the old days, before global cooling arrived, I used to wear silk longjohns and vest under my BBwear all-in-one but for the last 3 or 4 years it's been woolly jumpers.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    In the old days, before global cooling arrived, I used to wear silk longjohns and vest under my BBwear all-in-one
    Too much information!

http://www.bbwear.co.uk/acatalog/Suits.html
    Try the BBwear jacket they will make longer arms and body adjustments to size for no extra money.
    Clive (every which way but loose) swears by them
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 14-05-2012 at 10:08 PM.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

I just wish they put decent loops on mine. It's hanging from a nail in the shed and I know it will make a hole and let a bee in someday

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I just wish they put decent loops on mine. It's hanging from a nail in the shed and I know it will make a hole and let a bee in someday
    Some of us have discovered wire coathangers....:-)