Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Losses outside the UK

Blog Entries

I hope you are done with my character assassination now.

Anyway, Nellie was a bit over zealous when he moved those posts to another thread down in the bottom where he hopes nobody will find them.
    This one certainly belongs here, as this is the logical continuation of the thread I started:

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Thank you for all your replies.

But I have to tell you: it wasn't acarine, it wasn't varroa. It wasn't bad beekeeping or wood honey either.
    - It was CCD, colony collapse disorder, caused by neonic contaminated pollen from seed treated maize.

A look at the maps showed that the affected apiaries were within flying ranges of seed treated crops, those in areas of organic agriculture or even areas with traditional spraying were fine.

Austrian beekeepers are furious and will push for a ban by next year:

(watch from 9:15)
    http://tvthek.orf.at/programs/1310-Report

And just in case anybody here thinks their bees are safe as maize is not a common crop here: the neonicotinoids from oilseed rape can affect your bees too and lead to higher numbers of varroa, outbreaks of nosema and early failure of queens due to the delayed toxic effects of these very persistent systemic pesticides.

Blog Entries

If I didn't want people to find them I would have just deleted them. The thread was given a clear, appropriate, title, put in the relevant section with links from here to there so give it a rest and put your tin foil hat on.