Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Losses outside the UK

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Calum- re wood honey. I live in an area maybe not so different to yours. Pine, birch and mixed forest with very little crops, some sheep and dairy in the highlands. I'm a newbie here but do you think my bees are foraging in a similar way. There is not much around at this time of year apart from a bit of gorse and cherry blossom so are my bees gathering pollen or nectar from the trees do you think. Later of course we have heather but not till August.

Blog Entries

Hi
    they don't get pollen from those trees. Wood honey is a bit special. If you see ants climbing the trees there is a good chance the bees will be visiting too...
    Last edited by Calum; 15-05-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Winterverluste waren überdurchschnittlich Mayen (co) Das vergangene, sehr früh beginnende Bienenjahr 2011,gekennzeichnet durch teilweise sehr gute Erträge, ließ für den Winter 2011/2012 das Schlimmste erwarten.
    Die erfassten Völkerverluste im Spätsommer und Herbst taten ihr Übriges für die düsteren Prognosen für den Winter. Verluste
    von 25 bis 30 % wurden vorhergesagt und an den Winter 2002/2003, mit seinen bisher höchsten Verlusten seit es bundesweite
    Erhebungen gibt, erinnert.
    Diese Befürchtungen traten Gott sein Dank nicht ein. Die vorläufigen Erhebungswerte des Fachzentrums für Bienen und Imkerei in Mayen, auf der Basis von mehr als 5.200 Imkereien mit zusammen mehr als 70.000 Bienenvölkern
    beziffern die Verluste mit 22 %, immerhin mehr als jedes fünfte Bienenvolk in Deutschland.
    Nach ersten Berechnungen waren 60% aller beteiligten Imkereien von Verlusten in unterschiedlichem Umfang betroffen.
    Nach abschließender Erfassung von weiteren ca. 1.000 Fragebögen erfolgen weitere Analysen zu verschiedenen Einflussfaktoren

in short they expected 25-30% losses. Average 22% Losses recorded as a whole, avarage loss per beekeeper 21,5. The causes are being looked into. 5200 beekeepers tending over 70000 colonies took part in the survey.
    Looking at the data appended to the report Bremen Hanburg and Sachsen-Anhalt have what appear to be higher losses with over 30% but I'll leave the numbercrunching to professionals

Blog Entries

For those wondering where the Neonicotinoid/CCD conversation went, I've moved it into a new thread that can be found Here.

I think it had wandered far enough off the original topic of this particular thread to warrant splitting out to preserve this one to discuss as originally intended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    For those wondering where the Neonicotinoid/CCD conversation went, I've moved it into a new thread that can be found Here.

I think it had wandered far enough off the original topic of this particular thread to warrant splitting out to preserve this one to discuss as originally intended.
    Nellie, this is just plain ridiculous. Anybody can see that you are just trying to hide something.

To the genuine forum reader I can only recommend to follow that link and to make up his/her own mind as to what is going on here.

I have said what I wanted to say, but it was too close to the truth, and the truth we are not allowed to find out on this forum.

Blog Entries

Doris you were complaining earlier about lack of moderation and forum management. Most of the thread he moved was the usual daft jokes and banter. Check it out.

Blog Entries

It is good management of the forum. Thanks Nellie. Those who wish to continue with the pesticide stuff can click Nellie's link and go to the area lower down on the forum where polite debate on this topic will be tolerated. Maybe slightly impolite debate too.

Those to wish to ignore these arguments can do so more easily, and hopefully people turned off by the bickering will enjoy their stay on the forum a little more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Nellie, this is just plain ridiculous. Anybody can see that you are just trying to hide something.

To the genuine forum reader I can only recommend to follow that link and to make up his/her own mind as to what is going on here.

I have said what I wanted to say, but it was too close to the truth, and the truth we are not allowed to find out on this forum.
    Hiding in plain sight, there's a link, right there in that text you quoted that takes you to the new thread, split out as is, dedicated to the conversation rather than "hidden" in a topic covering colony losses. The only change in that thread is in your original post where I added an explanation and a link back to.... here.

can we talk about bees now?
    Last edited by Neils; 16-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post

Doris please read this

Let me make this easier (and thanks Calum). G.

b
    Last edited by gavin; 17-05-2012 at 01:48 AM.

This is the clincher for poster of the week! And it does not even include a joke.

Rosie