Thread: Looking to get a microscope can anyone advise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Ruary you answered my next question before I thought of it
    There a lots of adapters which are sold for astronomy and I wasn't sure if they could do the job
    Wish I had gone to Jessops closing down sale

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Wish I had gone to Jessops closing down sale
    I gather that the firm has re-opened. The adapter comes in two sizes ranges make sure you get the right one.

Blog Entries

Having done a recent course, sadly not at Gormanston, on Microscopy (do I mention the NDB/Defra courses here? I suspect they're England only) I've been doing a bit of shopping around to supplement the microscopes and give me the tools to do things properly.

First up and especially if you're considering taking the Microscopy assessment, Dade is reference. the book costs nearly £30 but you can buy just the dissection plates from IBRA for £8, they're laminated, double sided A4 and Excellent quality if lacking the look and feel of fold out paper from a book:
    http://ibrastore.org.uk/index.php?ma...roducts_id=176

I have both Snograss and Snell when it comes to Honey Bee anatomy and I've heard it said that a lot of Dade is "influenced" by Snodgrass, so the plates on their own, and laminated, seemed a good choice.

Beecraft do a "microbox" of the basic kit you need to "do" Microscopy. It's all supplied via Brunel and I tried putting together the same stuff from their website. I got a few extra bits or quantities here or there buying separates, but the microbox comes with a decent book for, basically, the difference. I'm still new to this so perhaps our resident experts can weigh in on their opinion as to the contents.

Finally, beeswax and a polish tin comes in handy for dissection. Both I'd hazard might be readily to hand to a beekeeper thinking of buying microscopes rather than buying the posh and poncy kit from the major suppliers.

The microbox looks good to me everything you need in not too big quantities
    plus it must fit in the box
    very neat
    My microscopy chemicals are two storage boxes with sealed lids

Blog Entries

I wish my collection was as compact, add in dissection kit etc, and it all mounts up.