Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: For readers of Beesource following Stromnessbees outburst

Blog Entries

We can all have a big punch up in Stirling!
    I'll forgive Neil for adopting his Woodrow Wyatt (the voice of Reason!) persona as I might have to share a car with him to Stirling.
    Definitely time to treat this thread with Glyphosate.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

OK it was my fault and I’ll put my hands up and plead guilty as charged, but before the judge (Nellie) puts on his black cap may I say a few things in my defence.
    First of all there’s a permanent link to the Orkney Beekeepers Association on this forum, so it’s quite easy to find Doris’s posts.
    Secondly there are quite a few inexperienced beekeepers that use the Orkney forum so Doris’s posts usually go unchallenged. I thought by linking her post to the SBAI forum it would let her see that she can’t just print what she likes and expect everyone to believe it.
    Thirdly yes I intended to poke fun at Doris but I hold no personal grievances.
    Finally sorry Doris

Blog Entries

Having said I wouldn't post any more in here...

Nellie worried that we were ganging up on Doris and taking it too far. Maybe, not sure. But I am sure that no-one posting was doing it to be unpleasant to Doris.
    Yep, that's more or less what it was starting to look like, why I made the post and made it as a member of this forum rather than hypocritically trying to moderate or close the thread. I felt that we'd, all, started to cross that line from banter into something more unpleasant.

If the topic of beet vs cane sugar had been posted into a new thread I wouldn't have had a problem with it but I felt that it was linked into here specifically to poke fun at and I didn't think that was fair.

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, if so my apologies

I've had a few PMs with people earlier on to clarify my position which is more or less what I've just put now.

I'm not trying to stifle debate, steer it in any direction (other than through expressing my own opinion on a matter) or wrap anyone in cotton wool and, yes, I do agree to a point that you reap what you sow.

As for borderbeeman, he's a spammer, nothing more. If he posted links to indian software websites rather than bad journalism around pesticides he'd have been banned on every forum long ago.

Blog Entries

Nellie worried that we were ganging up on Doris and taking it too far.
    One of the things I most detest in life is bullying or intimidation. I don't go down that route.

When Doris first started to post again a couple of weeks back we exchanged a PM or two and I explained that I probably would be taking a different perspective but that it was a debate, no more no less, and it was nothing personal. I know Doris, I like her, I think some of her views are daft and driven by conspiracy theory, but I don't see how any of that is a problem. If you take a position , you have to be prepared to defend it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Maybe you want to explain yourself, rather than just gagging me because I point things out that are maybe a bit uncomfortable?

There are also lots of good discussions to come yet, on the Harvard study and others, which I'll not do on this forum if my posts need to be approved first.

The choice is yours, but gagging me won't look good!
    This is not about gagging, this is about the level of abuse and insults that you have resorted to recently and the negative effect that this is having on the forum as a whole, I'll chuck in the deliberate "vandalism" of the forum too if you like. I'm well aware that getting yourself banned is probably part of the aim and that it's a "win" for you so I'm no longer prepared to discuss anything with you except as a moderator of this forum. If necessary I will edit out insults or close threads and that goes for everybody, not just you.

It also goes for the Environment sub forum, that's traditionally been more lax in the moderation and what's been let slide given the differences of opinion around many of the topics but not now, I'm holding it to the same standard as the rest of the forum. Quoting/linking closed threads into a new one to attempt to continue the discussion on here also wont get very far, the thread was closed for a reason and discussion on it is closed.

If you want to post within the rules of this forum that's fine by me, I happen to believe that having different opinions and discussing them is a good thing on a forum, simply insulting anyone who dares question the Gospel According to Doris though is no longer going to be tolerated. You can't have it both ways, if you treat people as you claim to expect to be treated yourself then you might find that it's reciprocated.

Argue whatever position you want but I'm no longer going to allow belitting, insults and downright rudeness to continue. People can assert what they want, but you'd better believe that no matter how strongly someone believes it to be true, an assertion that Jam is an effective varroa treatment, for example, is going to be pretty robustly challenged on a forum such as this. If you want people to just agree with you, you're on the wrong forum.

You can copy and paste articles to your heart's content as far as I'm concerned, eventually you'll just see a similar situation to what happens to the guy who does it on other forums; they get ignored; unread and unreplied to because everyone realises that you're not posting for a discussion, you're posting to spread the Message plain and simple.

If you want to continue as you are currently with your discussion on IPM, that'd actually be nice, that's a discussion and it's a shame that I feel that I have to take this approach because there are actually things there I'd like to discuss.

This has always been a moderated forum and there have always been pretty loose and lax rules about what can be discussed and how, 'Be polite to each other' is largely it. If you really want to push that just so you can complain elsewhere that you were 'gagged' then I'll agree with you, it won't look good. I will point out the level of sympathy given elsewhere to the last and only guy who decided to get himself banned, the resulting ire pointed in this direction and the amount of concern expressed by anyone here after it happened: None.

Right now, slate's clean from my point of view. I'm not interested in what someone said two weeks ago or half an hour ago for that matter. Move forward from here how you wish.

I may yet consider trying to unravel this unholy mess of a thread but I am far more inclined at the moment to simply close and sticky it so anyone who wants to see the trainwreck of the past month or so can still do it but that we can hopefully draw a line under this now and move on.

Quite frankly I'd much rather be talking about bees.
    Last edited by Neils; 29-05-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typos and grammar