Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colony is alive!

Blog Entries

Nellie, I'd never dream of extracting the michael from Gavin ... or anyone else for that matter. I'm just very inexperienced with this format of forum and having to ask for advice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Nellie, I'd never dream of extracting the michael from Gavin ...
    Should you ever change your mind, just go ahead! I don't mind ... and I don't think Nellie really meant it like that.

Strange that some should see the icons and some should not. But this is strange software.

That was a lovely bee on those snowdrops. I so rarely see any on them, but there are rather a lot of snowdrops around my favourite bee estate and not that many bees out flying.

Blog Entries

I didn't, I was being silly. The standard reply option is generally fine if you just want to write a reply like this one or stick a single picture or link into the post. If you want the full formatting options to do more fun and funky stuff then clicking "go advanced" makes life a little easier.
    And everyone should take the mickey out of Gavin from time to time, he's the admin, it's the law

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    And everyone should take the mickey out of Gavin from time to time, he's the admin, it's the law
    Amen to that. if you can't stand the heat...!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I made my first u tube upload last week and there is an option to set videos to private with a maximum of 25 viewings.

This colony was flying just before dusk but located considerably further south than Mull!
    I intend to enter it in the worlds tallest colony contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MqgxBVeaqE
    For anyone interested, this colony is still going strong one year on.
    I think it has been in continuous occupation rather than being reoccupied by a swarm.
    It had a lucky escape in August as there were bricklayers working opposite and they blocked the entrance every day by inserting a stone. I took the stone out every morning when I went past.

I once watched a group of brickies at the bus stop amuse themselves by throwing stones at a hummingbird moving from flower to flower on a bush at the other side of the road.

Blog Entries

Good to see this thread rejuvenated, as it was started a year ago! Pity more good threads do not get the same treatment.

I have a query regarding the ladies flying at this time of the year. My little lovelies have been flying on the warmer/fine days 7degrees plus for a while now. But what puzzles me is that on any fine day at 4-5degrees, there is the odd one who pops out, has a look around, a quick flight around then back home. A few minutes later another appears and does the same. This is true of all my three colonies.

I can't believe that just the odd one comes out to relieve themselves? and surely the odd one is not going to bring in enough water to help with fondant breakdown?

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

I like to put a source of water near my colonies.
    One thing they seem to like is a piece of old crumpled up polythene held down by a stone. This collects water between the crinkles and when the sun comes out it heats the water up a bit. On sunny days in late winter or eary spring I see hundreds of bees on the polythene. If it doesn't rain you can fill it daily with the watering can.

Blog Entries

Jon, apologies as I obviuosly worded my last post incorrectly. What I meant to ask was 'why are individual bees flying spasmodically at these low temperatures - 4-5degrees'. Surley if conditions are ok for them why are they not flying in greater numbers? Or to put it another way, why are any flying at all?

Hope they not househunting for somewhere with better conditions for the future!!!!!
    popz

Blog Entries

You always get a few out defecating if the sun is out - even if it is only 3 - 4 degrees.
    If they are collecting water you will find them in numbers at the source.
    I saw the odd bee flying out of the hive when it was -6.
    Old or sick bees will do the decent thing in the style of Captain Oates but if they are returning to the hive it is probably a call of nature or a short trip to remove debris or dead bees from the colony.