Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colony is alive!

Blog Entries

Default Colony is alive!

Having read about everyone else's colonies flying already and bringing in pollen (especially those east coast boys) I have been wondering when my ladies were going to wake up, if indeed they would, to the fact that we are moving into another spring.

Then, this morning I gave them some pollen substitute, just as a precaution. On going up for my usual midday inspection, was most suprised to see loads of the ladies flying with gay abandon. No idea why as it was a northerly wind and temp of 7/8C, not the best of days to come out and greet spring! AND some were returning with very decent loads of pollen.

So now I am a very excited bunny - just get them through the next few weeks and bingo, hopefully it will be blast off time.

How are others faring??

Blog Entries

Mine are out, flying and bringing in pollen as of last weekend although I've not been up personally (tomorrow!). They had a good slab of fondant a couple of weeks ago so should be ok on that front and I'm trying to resist the urge to start fiddling with them too early.

Out of the three colonies on the site mine appears to be the only one that's made it through winter. The little swarm we got last year superseded every queen throughout the summer and I feel it's antics might just have been a little beyond our ability to deal with it and it looks like they've paid the price as a result. My colleagues hive is hanging on by a thread at the moment, but with apparently only a single seam of bees last weekend we're not too hopeful that it's going to do much of anything.

I was hoping to split from my colony this year anyway, but I'm going to try and get two viable queens if I can to save my friend having to buy in bees.

Blog Entries

Mine were out and about, too, despite strong N wind and only 7 degrees. Would love to post the video but don't know what the url of a video on my desktop is and that's what's being requested!

Blog Entries

Uploading to a video hosting site should do it. YouTube, but that will mean the whole world will find it easily (no bad thing perhaps). You could also put it at places like Photobucket: http://photobucket.com/

It might also be possible to put it on the SBAi web space and link to it there. If you wanted to try that then you'd need to email it to me.

G.

Blog Entries

I made my first u tube upload last week and there is an option to set videos to private with a maximum of 25 viewings.

This colony was flying just before dusk but located considerably further south than Mull!
    I intend to enter it in the worlds tallest colony contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MqgxBVeaqE

We have a forecast for 9c tomorrow so my colonies should be active

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I made my first u tube upload last week and there is an option to set videos to private with a maximum of 25 viewings.

This colony was flying just before dusk but located considerably further south than Mull!
    I intend to enter it in the worlds tallest colony contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MqgxBVeaqE

We have a forecast for 9c tomorrow so my colonies should be active
    That is so cool Jon - and I did not realise that Belfast had moved so far south!?
    POPZ

Blog Entries

He's our Mexican as well as Ulster correspondent (with the aunt who married a man with a Scottish sounding name). I was going to post a picture of a colony in a rowan tree as competition for Jon's longest colony in the world competition, but it may be some time before I can find it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I was going to post a picture of a colony in a rowan tree as competition for Jon's longest colony in the world competition, but it may be some time before I can find it.
    It can't be that hard to find a Rowan tree! They are generally quite static.

Blog Entries

Very drole! It is in a secret location in Secretshire, somewhere in the middle of Scotland ... and probably yielded up the swarm recovered from the chimney of a big house by a friend as seen in a series of pictures on another forum some months ago.

Blog Entries

So is agent X, aka John Mc C not signed up here yet?