Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoke vs Water (or other alternatives)

When I use a smoker I use dry rotten birch wood. Five seconds with a blowlamp and it's lit. (Paper and matches are so 19th century:-) Only trouble is it smoulders quickly so I have to pack the smoker full. The good bit is the smoke is cool , there is little resin (so the smoker does not tar up) and the bees run away quickly.

22894 Courtland Park Dr Ashburn, VA 20148, USA

On the off chance that you intently notice your honey bees on a blistering summer evening, you might discover them hanging out on the patio smoking. All things considered, they've acquired it, having visited many blossoms before in the day. These are basically the more established foragers, albeit, infrequently you will see more youthful honey bees attempting to participate.
    The medical attendant honey bees get pretty furious about this action, as they understand the wellbeing suggestions, however, their grievances will in general fail to be noticed.
    In any case, truly. The examination says, "It's coldblooded to work honey bees without smoking them." Meaning: if they sting you they will bite the dust, and that is remorseless.
    It is felt that when honey bees smell smoke it makes them think there is a woodland fire coming and they gorge on nectar fully expecting to escape. Full honey bees will in general be much more settled.
    A little smoke at the front and under the cover is a decent beginning. As you work through your honey bees you will actually want to tell on the off chance that you need to add more smoke. Now and again, on the off chance that you have a breeze, you can put your smoker down, upwind, and let it float over the highest point of your stack.
    OK, HERE'S THE WAY I DO IT:
    1: Approach from the back or side
    2: Reach around and shoot a couple of puffs in the front entryway
    3: Be certain to slam your smoker against the front of the hive and say, "Possum coming, Possum coming!" This will make the sovereign run-up
    4: At the rear of the hive, raise only the rear of the external cover and puff a little in here and afterward put it down
    5: Wait 20 seconds and eliminate the external cover
    6: Puff again at the opening in the internal cover and afterward eliminate
    7: Observe the honey bees and see what they're doing, they're presumably checking out you
    8: Begin working the hive and smoke across the top bars. On the off chance that the honey bees are effectively attempting to kill you, smoke once more
    WHAT TO USE IN YOUR SMOKER
    I consume clean burlap in my smokers more often than not. I have additionally consumed pine needles, old sovereign enclosures, dried grass. The general purpose isn't to put anything harmful into your smoker like treated wood, sleek clothes, or plastic. You are after a cool white smoke, not something like a consuming tire.
    I like burlap as it will light with a match and it keeps going for some time. In any event, when consuming something different, it actually makes a decent starter. At the point when you puff smoke at your honey bees ensure you are not shooting flares out of the finish of your smoker, this can adversely affect your honey bees. Likewise be certain not to over smoke them as this might make them more protective and at least, will upset your hive more.
    Regardless of what you consume in your smoker, it will make creosote. At the point when this develops it can make it truly difficult to get the cover off your smoker. On the off chance that you take a propane light and hotness up the cover, it will fall off without any problem. Try to open your smoker while it's as yet hot and not seal it firmly. Cleaning it sometimes is likewise an alternative.
    So when I work with my honey bees I generally have a lit smoker with me. Permit your honey bees to let you know how much smoke to utilize. In case they are quiet, utilize less, in case they are protective, utilize more.
    DOES SIZE MATTER?
    uh, well—yes it does. If you have anything over around four hives I would recommend getting a jumbo smoker. There isn't anything as disappointing as having your smoker run out of fuel when you have the cover of a hive of guarded honey bees. Be certain your smoker will endure through the number of hives you plan to work. It tends to be difficult to reload a smoker while you are wearing stuff and covered with honey bees.
    Additionally, I would put in two or three additional bucks to get a safeguard. Safeguards permit you to put a hot smoker down without burning the surface you set it on. What's more, a safeguard might save you from terrible burns as the barrels of smokers get exceptionally hot.
    Cheerful smoking!