Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what kind of a bad winter is really bad for bees?

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default So what kind of a bad winter is really bad for bees?

I had some left over syrup again. and last year the container it was stored in got mouldy so I chucked it. This year I added some more sugar and attempted to make my own fondant. It is very crystally and rock hard. I may have over cooked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default So what kind of a bad winter is really bad for bees?

Whoops sent it before I added - will the bees mind. Should I try and see how it goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Well, I've done it before and the bees survived. Mind you, if it's too crystally and they're not desperate, it re-appears at the hive entrance! I froze some syrup when I had too much to feed before going away on holiday and didn't trust it to last 3 weeks. It was fine but does take up a lot of freezer space.

In general candy is better fed on the top bars. Use an empty super, put a big chunk on top of the cluster and if you are worried about cold then put a rug/sack/bubble wrap to fill the space and replace the CB. Frankly if you are feeding bees there should be a good amount left over in Spring, then you know you got it right and they didn't go short. The biggest failing is feeding in "suppies" and too high, as in over the CB it needs to be in contact with the bees. If I could have one beekeeping wish it would be to seal up every CB in the land. They are a Crown Board for goodness sake, not a feeding board.

PH