Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Module 3 reading materials?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    I thought section 18 would be a good place to start as it gives me time to practise spelling these long, overly complicated, many unpronounceable names.
    We scientists have to preserve our status using jargon, you know. Plain speaking just wouldn't do. Anyway, once you master Paenibacillus and Mellisococcus pluton (or is it plutonius) you'll be able to impress (and bore) all your mates.

Viruses do have Latin names but they aren't use much. Deformed Wing Virus for example is an Iflavirus.

G.

Blog Entries

Going all out for Picus viridis is probably overkill though

Blog Entries

At least in physics they keep the names short and sweet

Thanks guys, I won't look too much further for the names of the viruses, although I am intrigued as to where you found the scientific name for DWV Gavin.

I don't think I'll ever reach the stage of being able to pronounce them

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Going all out for Picus viridis is probably overkill though
    Don't tell me we need to know the names of the feathered things too! that would be over kill!

Blog Entries

Somewhat bashfully - as there is a real expert reading - Wikipedia!

We can have a Latin name pronounciation tutorial at the bar in Stirling.

There are quite a few Picus viridis just a couple of miles to the north. Lots of Dendrocopos major around though. Thankfully they don't seem to attack hives very often. One surprise last night on a late-night walk to see the bees (and close an Apidea for transport for a school visit today) was a Caprimulgus europeus in exactly the same spot as I saw one two summers ago. There was another sighting a few miles away yesterday. No-one has ever said that they nest in Tayside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post

Amo
    Amas
    Amat
    Amamos
    Amatis
    Amant

Last edited by Jon; 19-06-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post

Is it easier to pronounce latin names when under the influence

I have to admit I've been on wikipedia to get the other latin names. Is dicistroviridae the name of a virus family? It says that KBV, BQCV and ABPV are ' a dicistroviridae virus' so I take it they'll be different strains?

Enjoyed the video John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    Don't tell me we need to know the names of the feathered things too! that would be over kill!

In seriousness, no you don't need to know the scientific names of every pest and gribbly that might affect Bees. We did it in jest and some of them stuck

If Fera are bothered enough to make a booklet about them or mention them in one, it's probably worth knowing though and they helpfully include the scientific names in the booklets.

At the very least, know what it is (virus, mite, fly, bacteria, fungus etc), what can cause it, what the signs are, how you'd confirm it and what, if anything, you'd do about it. Ivor's suggestion was also to bear in mind the number of points that the question gives, most the "give the scientific names for..." are one point questions (or they're easier and use the scientific names which works for me!).

If you can't remember what Acarine is called and it's a one point question, move on and come back to it. If it's a 25 point question, you might get away with it if you can demonstrate in the answer that you understand the important stuff. Worst you lost 1 point in a 25 point question by forgetting what it is, best case they like your answer so much they overlook it and give you the point for coming up with something else

Blog Entries

Acarine- an interesting piece here for anyone wanting info on acarine.
    http://ressources.ciheam.org/om/pdf/b25/99600241.pdf

the debate on whether acarine is a vector for CBPV and the true cause of the IOW disease outbreak just makes it all the more interesting to read up on.

I carried out my first acarine test over the weekend on some poor Caithnessian bees which I managed to get my hands on. Living in a varroa infested area I didn't think I would see an acarine infested bee, however Caithness is a different story and the bees were definitely positive for the mite- not what my sister wanted to hear.

When having to describe the diagnostic process, it certainly makes it much easier to understand if you take the time to try and try it out. Removing the collar bone is particularly fiddely, especially when the tweezers aren't up to much.

Blog Entries

That's very useful, thanks, EmsE. I've saved the article for future reference as acarine's a problem here. Currently experimenting with eucalyptus oil in a sugar syrup for an infested colony which really should be dead by now but is hanging on in a nuc box (eucalyptus oil because that's all I had available in terms of strong-smelling oils!).