Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Module 3 reading materials?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    Removing the collar bone is particularly fiddely, especially when the tweezers aren't up to much.
    A man I know does it on odd live bees at random intervals using nothing but fingernails, almost like a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    That's very useful, thanks, EmsE. I've saved the article for future reference as acarine's a problem here. Currently experimenting with eucalyptus oil in a sugar syrup for an infested colony which really should be dead by now but is hanging on in a nuc box (eucalyptus oil because that's all I had available in terms of strong-smelling oils!).
    Hi Trog
    What are they infested with Koalas ?

I would have thought you could have sprung for some Thymol
    not in the syrup though just wafting round the hive

Blog Entries

Don't have any thymol, Droney ... and the koalas are in the eucalyptus tree above the nuc (and only part of the sentence is true ...)

Blog Entries

So with thymol, what's the treatment dose/length for Acarine? Can you slap a tray of apiguard in? do you leave it two weeks as per Varroa?

Nellie I would think that would do it
    http://hpmt.co.uk/clients/vitaeurope...ites-&-Acarine
    Its a 14 day cycle so the second tray might be needed because the treatment effectiveness varies between day 1 and 14 so some of them might survive

I think the little api life tablets work just as well and you don't need the eke

Blog Entries

Cheers DR, I was aware that thymol was considered an effective treatment, just couldn't recall what was considered an effective dose/duration. These days around here it's probably regarded less as an active threat because of varroa.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    That's very useful, thanks, EmsE. I've saved the article for future reference as acarine's a problem here. Currently experimenting with eucalyptus oil in a sugar syrup for an infested colony which really should be dead by now but is hanging on in a nuc box (eucalyptus oil because that's all I had available in terms of strong-smelling oils!).
    Hi Trog,

What outward symptoms do your colonies show when suffering from acarine? My sisters seems to be doing very well but it could be the case that the level of acarine mites is low?
    How is your experiment going? It would be really interesting to hear if it has been effective or not.

EmsE

I'm wondering if it's worth buying the updated version of Yates for this exam?

Blog Entries

Personally I think there's enough good information out there for nothing (the DEFRA booklets for a kickoff) around this area without needing to fork out for a guide just to pass the exam.

While I've not used them personally I've always heard mixed reviews of the Yate's guides which has been enough to put me off shelling out the cash to try them for myself. YMMV and all that and I can see why, for some of the later modules, guides like Yates might be useful but for Modules 1-3 which really cover practical beekeeping skills and knowledge I do question their value.