Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Module 3 reading materials?

Default Module 3 reading materials?

Well now that I've sat Mods 1 and 2 (not assuming I've passed btw!) my mind is turning to the possibility of maybe trying Mod 3 in November.

So...what should I be reading for it?

Gerry

Blog Entries

Get the Fera booklets on varroa, tropilaelaps, foul brood and small hive beetle. That would cover the majority of the syllabus in many respects and they're free!

Blog Entries

In terms of general advice, the emphasis is supposed to be shifting from Bee diseases to Bee Health, but I don't think it would be too much of a stretch of the imagination to suppose that there will still be a heavy emphasis on Varroa and Foul brood.

It would be worth considering a well rounded IPM scheme,including use or otherwise of pyrethoid based treatments and why you would or wouldn't use them. If you wouldn't consider something, Icing sugar dusting perhaps, explain why. I'm still convinced that my IPM scheme when I sat the paper was what got me a pass because I messed up a few other sections that I should have done better on. I covered everything from OMFs to keeping records and explanations of why I wouldn't use certain techniques as well as those I would as standard

Definitely spend some time on the lifecycle of Varroa. How long they live for, how they reproduce, how long it takes.

Know the difference between AFB and EFB, what the symptoms are, what you'd do if you suspect that your bees might have either condition, how they can be confirmed and what the likely treatments would be if confirmed.

Know which conditions are bacterial, viral or parasitic and what else they might be indicators of.

There is, or was, an expectation that you know the scientific/latin names of the various pests and diseases. Knowing that mice are Mus Domesticus probably isn't essential, but knowing the Foul Broods and Varroa will get you a couple of extra points.

Pretty much of all this is in the Fera booklets, it might not spell out an complete IPM scheme, but the building blocks are all in there.

Some knowledge of the regulations around FoulbBrood and other notifiable conditions is helpful, as is a basic knowledge of the rules around importing bees/queens. Knowing the EFB generally isn't considered a notifiable condition outside the UK might come in handy.

Off the top of my head I can't remember whether Nosema is covered in any detail in the booklets, but it's worth reading up. What are the differences between Nosema Ceranae and Nosema Apis? what are the symptoms? How do you sample for it? what else can show up in samples that sometimes gets confused for Nosema?

Some consideration to Apiary hygiene might also be handy. Do you do anything in particular when you hive a swarm in your apiary? How do store combs/prevent wax moth? what do you do with your tools? Do you change combs out, how do you do it, how often and why?
    Last edited by Neils; 27-03-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Mus, not micus

Great advice - thanks for taking the time tp ut that together Nellie. I see on the BBKA booshop they recommend Celia Davis (can't remember which of the two books) for Mod 3. Been meaning to buy both of her books anyway so now might be a good time. Will definitely check out the FERA materials as well.

Thanks again

Gerry

Blog Entries

Hi Gerry,

There was a bee health day last year held in Edinburgh which was excellent. I think there are plans to run it again this year and would certainly be a good to back up the leaflets too if you get the opportunity to go. There is a brief thread on it here http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...Bee-Health-Day

One of the bee farmers ( Murry McGregor I think) in the East was also talking about having an evening where bee keepers can visit his hospital apiary once he has enough colonies affected by EFB (Bio security will be at the top of the agenda of course.) which will be good experience to see it in the hive.

Blog Entries

Just for information, here's the 2011 BBKA exam paper:

I understand the emphasis on the modules generally and Module 3 specifically is supposed to be shifting somewhat over the next few years, but that should give a reasonable idea of what to expect.

Blog Entries

I've a long train journey to Inverness and back of Saturday so am planning to read Honey Bee Pathology by L. Bailey & B. V. Ball. No idea what is like but will soon find out after 7 hours of traveling.

Blog Entries

I will cross link the thread in bee health here and ask for any suggestions that people find on their own to keep it up to date.

Blog Entries

Section 18: The scientific names of the causative organisms associated with diseases of honey bees.

Ive looked through several sources to find the scientific names for the above and notice that the diseases I can't find a scientific name for are the viruses. Is this right or am I missing something? (I'm certainly hoping not-that would mean even more to learn)
    I thought section 18 would be a good place to start as it gives me time to practise spelling these long, overly complicated, many unpronounceable names.

Blog Entries

As far as I can recall knowing that DWV is deformed wing virus, it's a virus, what else it might indicate etc should be enough.

I did learn all the various gribblies such as acaripis woodi and some of them did come up over and above foul brood and varroa.

[edit] last years paper above shoes the sort of thing you can expect. I definitely used Deformed wing virus rather than any scientific name and in our workshop towards with Ivor Davis we never used any other term for them.
    Last edited by Neils; 19-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.