Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overwintering Apideas

Spent the morning making 3frame nucs from some 25mm polystyrene packing, these to replace my old plywood nucs. I've made solid floors from poly, now looks like damp may be an issue. Is anyone using mesh floors on these?

thanks fatshark, that's interesting too. I think I'm going to try & get some deeps made into 4 with a mesh floor & try & over winter them on a strong hive.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Spent the morning making 3frame nucs from some 25mm polystyrene packing, these to replace my old plywood nucs. I've made solid floors from poly, now looks like damp may be an issue. Is anyone using mesh floors on these?
    I plan to put mesh in my apidea floors for over wintering to see how they do

Blog Entries

I checked a few colonies today and found a drone laying queen so one of the queens in the Apideas will be getting a new home tomorrow. I squished the drone layer and have just put a queen in a cage ready for introduction tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I checked a few colonies today and found a drone laying queen so one of the queens in the Apideas will be getting a new home tomorrow. I squished the drone layer and have just put a queen in a cage ready for introduction tomorrow.
    Good luck with that Jon, let us know how she does

Overwintering nucs on strong hives. I don't understand how warm saturated air moving into a colder section gives anything but damp. Is this only in the warmer states?

Fatshark, that was also very useful, I've copied some of the photo's for a chap that makes me equipment, so I'm going to have a go. thanks very much regards Jean

Blog Entries

Just in from a BKA meeting and I was talking to one of our beginners. last June nine members of the beginner group bought an Apidea and as part of our queen rearing group activities they were given a bonus of a cupful of bees and a virgin queen. The idea was to give them some hands on experience of manipulating bees and a chance to observe them at work. None of them had kept bees before. This chap came up to me tonight and asked how he was going to get his bees into a proper nuc.
    I was impressed, as he has kept a little colony of bees alive in an apidea between June and March and I never imagined that any of these queens would mate and survive a winter.

Blog Entries

Cracking report, cracking. Top marks to the man from Belfast who decided to give this a try. Do you plan to find out about the others? Can he move them up to a nuc? Did he do it with a feeder on top or just a plain Apidea?

Blog Entries

I think they were just an a single Apidea but I know some of them were offered feeders as well. I would be amazed if any of the others made it. I bumped into one woman in the local Lidl at the end of the summer and her Apidea had been gnawed by her sister in law's fox terrier leaving any possible queen mating in jeopardy.