Thread: 14x12

Default 14x12

Hello all

Have been reading some of the threads in this section & like Nellie I am aiming to have a go at queen rearing for the first time this coming season. I am planning on using a double brood Q+ system to raise queens. Most threads I've read on the subject use national brood boxes, some use BB super then another BB. I have 14x12 BB's & don't think I'll need supers to separate but thought I'd ask. Does anyone else have any opinions on a 14x12 set up? I was perhaps thinking of reducing the space in the top BB to five frames, like the Ben Harden method I have seen?

Thanks

Blog Entries

I use nationals and the more bees you have, the better, especially if there are a lot of young nurse bees.
    I don't see any problem with 14 by 12 frames
    You need to have open brood near to the graft frame in the top box as this acts like a magnet for nurse bees and ensures that your grafted larvae are well fed.
    You also need to put a couple of frames of pollen in the top box for the same reason - good nutrition of the grafted larvae.
    Having supers in between the top and bottom box makes no difference to the number of grafts started, but the advantage of a queenright system is that the bees continue to produce honey so you may need to give them a super or two anyway.

Thanks Jon

Am looking forward to giving it a go but a bit nervous that the bees might want to swarm! But it works for you hey.

Blog Entries

The presence of queen cells in the top box does not affect swarming but you need to check for queen cells in the bottom box as in normal swarm control and you also need to be careful that a queen cell is not started from a suitable aged larva on a frame in the top box as you could end up with a virgin queen at large.
    If you are rearranging frames from top to bottom box you need to check all frames carefully for queen cells.
    Last edited by Jon; 25-02-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Got another question, if I get a non starter with an apidea for what ever reason will the bees in sed apidea be ok until another Q could be grafted - raised or would they be better off going back to the hive?

Blog Entries

The bees in the apidea will be more than happy to get a second bite at the cherry.
    I always check mine within a couple of days and replace any cells which have not hatched.
    However, if you leave the apidea for a few weeks without a queen it will dwindle to nothing or turn laying worker.
    You need to get the replacement queen cell in asap.