Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insulating hive Sleeves

Blog Entries

Hi Gavin,
    I use some top insulation too, it doesnt really make much difference as far as I can tell. I am not really for fully insulating my colonies though. As stated above, they can cope with the cold (at least if they are healthy and well stocked) and I see disadvantages of them staying longer in brood.

I was talking only about side insulation. I too use top insulation and started many years ago when people were still putting matchsticks under the roof. I don't fit top insulation to keep them warm but to prevent condensation above the nest. I have single wooden nationals with open mesh floors and with that arrangement the bees seem impervious to temperature. I was once advised by an experienced old boy not to put matchsticks under the crown board but to remove the crown board completely just to keep the bees cold. I don't think it's necessary to go to that extreme provided omfs are left open. I have never witnessed any ill effects from cold and suspect the beekeepers who get better survival rates with warm hives are missing the real explanation. Perhaps they have badly adapted bees, leaky wooden roofs, solid floors or soggy untreated woodwork.

Rosie

Blog Entries

I've never found condensation to be a problem so far, including the hive with a polycarbonate "glass" crown board. All of the hives have a super between the Crown board and the roof to hold various nicknacks (not least a tub of fondant) and they seem to do ok.

Blog Entries

I left a glass crownboard on a few winters back and when I looked in (was it Feb?) you could see the water dripping off it onto the cluster below. That was before I used any top insulation of course.

Blog Entries

I don't doubt it occurs and I was worried last year when it was much colder but touch wood, it's never been an apparent problem in my hives to date.

Blog Entries

I'm sure that polycarbonate is better, but despite reading the warnings in the books I left a real glass one in place. Also that was before I used mesh floors I think.

Blog Entries

Didn't consider matchsticks then?

I think with glass I'd have been more concerned. The hive with the polycarbonate board does have some smoker fuel stashed in the super but the heat when the roof was removed was certainly noticeable. Perhaps that's giving it a little more insulation than just going from crown board to the roof.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Didn't consider matchsticks then?
    Not for a moment! Not aware of anyone up here recommending such a thing, although the BBKA doesn't have a monopoly on foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I left a glass crownboard on a few winters back and when I looked in (was it Feb?) you could see the water dripping off it onto the cluster below. That was before I used any top insulation of course.
    I used to have mainly glass quilts and insulated them from the start with a sheet of flexible insulation. In the winter I could remove the roof and peel back a corner of the insulation to look at the cluster below. I could feel the warmth of the freshly exposed glass and also watch the underside steam up after about a minute with the insulation removed. I don't have many with glass now but only because my hive numbers have grown and I have been buying wooden crown boards because of their price and durability.

Although I don't use matchsticks (and never have) I don't think they are as daft as Gavin appears to believe. I think any way of preventing top condensation is worthwhile whether it be by insulation or enhanced ventilation.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Well I got some prices....

£33 for a national
    £38 for a 14x12

I think that includes a sleeve for a super as well

Brood box on its own:
    £16.30
    £21.30 for a 14x12

"Roof" only
    £8.30

All excl VAT and postage.

I was going to send them a link to Payne's Poly brood boxes and roof as you could flog all your wood boxes and switch over to Poly hives for less. While I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, if it costs more to retrofit existing hives than it does to just buy new stuff then it's a non starter.