Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Module 5

Blog Entries

Default Module 5

oooo blimey. I can see why this one has the lowest pass rate.

I'm starting to wonder whether trying to do Module 2 and 5 in March might be biting off more than I can chew.

Having done 1 and 3 so far I'm starting to think I might just have the "easy" ones out of the way.

Blog Entries

On a more serious note, I borrowed a "proper" copy Of Snodgrass' 'Anatomy of a honey bee' given that most of the copies that seem to be available on amazon are reviewed as bad quality scanned reprints of the original. But from 1923 it's a little out of date.

I saw a few people this evening with a bee craft book that looks a little more up to date, but are there any other recommendations of decent books covering Honey Bee anatomy and general biology?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    ... are there any other recommendations of decent books covering Honey Bee anatomy and general biology?
    I received my two Celia Davis books yesterday, and I think both of them look really good: The Honey Bee Inside Out, and The Honey Bee Around and About.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

N...did you see the forumer elsewhere on our interforal wanderings who has signed up for four in March before he read the syllabuses!?
    7 is a slow one for me - doing it with 2.....
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Blimey, wouldn't want to try 3 in one go let alone 4. 5 is supposed to be the hardest so I'm wondering if I should can trying module 2 in march given it'll be 18 months before I can try 5 again if I fail it.

I'm not sure it will be 18 months. I pointed out to Margaret Thomas at the NHS that it was quite possible with this new system of A, B, then B, A modules to have to wait 18 months just to do 8 at the end as it must be done last (and ignoring the argument of doing the practical exams in the gap)...and she said the system was open to review. So I expect it will be. Aside from marking my OH who sets professional exams as part of wot he duz reckons that setting two sets at one go for two sessions a year really wouldn't be too much more work: and would reduce the need to find extra markers by splitting the load. With so many having done the Basic in 2011 there will likely be a huge uptake of Mod 1 this year, but we'll see on the rest.

And as we're guests here...is the Scottish system that different (I know the Welsh one is and although our honey is Welsh we chose the English system). Is there much uptake on your first practical exam with the surge in beekeepers?

Blog Entries

Hi Susbees, we have the same syllabus, exam papers and time table etc. to that of the BBKA. I think the only difference is that the SBA assess our exams and issue the certificates.

Blog Entries

That's my understanding having asked someone in the BBKA. There was a question as to whether the BBKA would accept SBA certificates when it came to issuing the wider awards. i.e. if you had BBKA modules 1,3&5 it's not clear that if you turned up with an SBA module 2 certificate whether they'd award you the intermediate theory certificate. But in terms of syllabus etc they're identical.

I'll try and dig up some info more pertinent to the SBA board/timetables.

Main thing is we can help each other on this forum to mutual benefit

Blog Entries

Absolutely.

As a slight aside, I think that by and large it is a good thing(tm) that the two association's education programmes are aligned. While it may be prudent to empahsise some areas over others in some areas, this is a pretty small island all things considered.