Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New research on colony collapse disorder

Blog Entries

Default Re: decapitating flies

I would actually like to get back to the topic of this thread again, as we seem to have hijacked it from Lindsay.

Ever since I have learned about parasitic flies and wasps I have been fascinated by the fact how they invade another organism and completely take it over, even control its movements. And then one day they emerge and leave only an empty shell behind.

Last edited by Stromnessbees; 08-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Funny, you can apply that whole logic to the majority of postings around by the pro-ban group too.

(posting habits, not parasitic control of other organisms)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post

Ever since I have learned about parasitic flies and wasps I have been fascinated by the fact how they invade another organism and completely take it over, even control its movements. And then one day they emerge and leave only an empty shell behind.
    When the Phorid fly story first broke I remember suggesting that this had happened to borderbeeman.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This conspiracy theory stuff is not meaningful, it is abject nonsense which has the redeeming feature of inducing great hilarity.
    I don't know how you get through the day with a head full of this stuff.
    Orkney must be crawling with guys who look like extras from Men in Black.
    Look out! They are coming for you.
    You are not threatening me, or are you?

Blog Entries

No Doris, I am being ironic! You need to get your head around that concept on this forum.
    Have you never been to Pantomime?
    Look out, he's behind you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    No Doris, I am being ironic! You need to get your head around that concept on this forum.
    Have you never been to Pantomime?
    Look out, he's behind you.
    Just checked, no, there's nobody behind me.

I have to go and feed my hungry children.
    Have you read that German piece yet?

Blog Entries

Yes I read it. A hotch potch of various bits of unsubstantiated conspiracy most of which I had heard before.
    Google translate is not very good German to English it seems but I got the gist.
    Don't be filling the children's heads with nonsense now! Don't want them having nightmares about Bayer agents.
    I suggest you forget about feeding them porridge for a while as well.
    Last edited by Jon; 08-05-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Blog Entries

how they invade another organism and completely take it over, even control its movements. And then one day they emerge and leave only an empty shell behind.
    Don't you mean shill?
    Doris, you obviously care a great deal, but you don't have the monopoly on caring. The way you are arguing, which is to rubbish people rather than their reasoning is more likely to harm your cause than to promote it.

Blog Entries

Maybe you should consider changing your mind on that after what I have explained here.

The danger of paid lobbyists infiltrating beekeeping organisations is very real and the common sense action is to prevent against it.
    Hi Doris,
    As a registered charity, the people on the executive are already covered by the legislation as shown on the OSCAR site. By voting to accept the proposal would have weakened this as the SBA members would be specifying just 1 issue that could be classed as a conflict of interest. There are many other things that could be classed as a conflict of interest and these may well change as the years go on.

Blog Entries

just noticed that this has been a very international debate, countries involved were: Scotland (of course), England, France , Germany, Austria, USA (- the parasite)

I think we can conclude this round now with ......... Doris - one Gavin & co - nil (that's because I spotted the fake hype over the CCD connection.)
    and of course Ruary needs to be given credit for finding the authors' statement and Lindsay for finding the topic.

Next we can debate what Randy Oliver had to say about the Harvard study, but first I need to find some time for analysing it.
    Anybody who wants to join in is very welcome!

At the monent I don't even know where it is, that Bee-L site is some labyrinth!

EmsE, I don't really know much about the background of this proposal. I was just responding to Gavin's attitude to it.
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 08-05-2012 at 09:47 PM.